[NL2-NL10] NL4 SH: AJs

• acetbfish
      acetbfish
      Bronze
      Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.04 BB (6 handed) - Party-Poker Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

MP ($5.27)
      CO ($3.84)
      Hero (SB) ($6.17)
      Button ($4.17)
      BB ($5.68)
      UTG ($2.72)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, J
      UTG bets $0.16, MP calls $0.16, 2 folds, Hero raises $0.54, 1 fold, UTG calls $0.40, MP calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.72) 8, K, 2 (3 players)
      Hero checks, UTG checks, MP checks

Turn: ($1.72) 2 (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.88

How is my postflop play here? Should I have made bigger the 3bet preflop? No reads on the villains.
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Acetbfish,

Preflop: Looks fine as a bluff and with position your size is fine as well

Postflop: Our perceived range is strong on that Kx high flop and have a backdoor so we should bet even vs 2 players.

On the turn our hand doesn't look that strong any more so I wouldn't expect villain(s) to fold pairs that easily that's why I'd prefer the flop bet.

Did you plan on firing the river too (unimproved)?
    • acetbfish
      acetbfish
      Bronze
      Generally I noticed that people at Nl4 tend to call the 3bets a lot with hands like KQ, KJ, K10s etc. Most of them don't call with pairs for setmining or to outplay the opponent postflop having position.
      So I thought that against 2 opponents this is a bad flop to bet. I don't think that if someone hits a K here will care about my range.
      On the turn I bet since they showed weekness and since my equity increased a lot. If someone calls here I bet-fold on the river any ace but I don't know what to do if I don't hit anything.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by acetbfish
      Generally I noticed that people at Nl4 tend to call the 3bets a lot with hands like KQ, KJ, K10s etc. Most of them don't call with pairs for setmining or to outplay the opponent postflop having position.
      So I thought that against 2 opponents this is a bad flop to bet. I don't think that if someone hits a K here will care about my range.
      On the turn I bet since they showed weekness and since my equity increased a lot. If someone calls here I bet-fold on the river any ace but I don't know what to do if I don't hit anything.
      So people don't call to setmine at 4nl?

As far as I know pairs are the biggest part of their range when they call a 3-bet. Everyone loves to set mine at these limits because they are hoping for a big pay day (when they hit in 3-bet pot).

MP has the wider range and he most likely has all pairs in his range (except premiums).

If people call all those Kx hands that means that they also call the Ax hands (AQ/AJ/AT) and Qx hands (QJ, QT, etc) so there are plenty of hands that can fold.

Remember that we are not looking to bluff them off a Kx hand but rather the rest of their range part of which may have a better hand or equity in the pot.