[NL20-NL50] AQo Ip against EP open

• legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.08/$0.16 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: $7.04 (44 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $17.56 (109.7 bb)
      SB: $6.40 (40 bb)
      BB: $18.46 (115.4 bb)
      UTG: $16.29 (101.8 bb)
      MP: $17.15 (107.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with Q A
      UTG raises to $0.48, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.48, 2 folds

Flop: ($1.20) 9 6 6 (2 players)
      UTG bets $0.80, Hero calls $0.80

Turn: ($2.80) K (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $1.60, UTG calls $1.60

River: ($6) T (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero checks

Results:
      $6 pot ($0.27 rake)
      Final Board: 9 6 6 K T
      Hero mucked Q A and lost (-$2.88 net)
      UTG showed 8 8 and won $5.73 ($2.85 net)

Decided to call rather than 3bet because there was a fish in the blinds that i wanted to keep in the hand if possible. Called with overcards because he could be cbet with most his range if not all of his range. K was the perfect card to barrel imo. Should i have bet the river too?
  • 3 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      hi.

preflop call is very standard vs UTG opens. I'm not sure why you would want to 3b here.

i think i prefer folding flop without a heart in my hand. if his range in UTG is loose, then perhaps floating here is fine, and 3b preflop may also be fine if he has low fold to 3b.

i also think the king is a very bad card for you to bluff. i dont see too many KX hands in your flop calling range besides KXs with flush draws. also the king is a good bluff card for him and when he checks here, i am putting him on a mid pocket pair weaker than king pair. so betting once and then giving up river is the worse play. you would never bet here with a mid pair so you only rep AX/busted draws/monsters which makes it rly easy for him to bluff catch against you.

thanks
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      oh wow so the K is a bad card to bluff. So what would you suggest as an alternate line? after i called on the flop? check turn check/fold river? or since i bet turn then bet river?
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      The King is not necessarily a bad card to bluff, but I think him checking on the King makes it likely that he has some sort of midpair.

if he had some air, don't you think he will typically barrel the King as a bluff?

So now we are mostly putting him on mid pairs. So take the line that makes him fold a midpair. If you cannot make him fold a midpair, then don't try making him fold and don't do it half-heartedly.

I think you can pot Turn and River, or maybe even consider overbetting. Just betting Turn serves no purpose cos he is just going to c/c and win the showdown when you give up.