Hello from Peru, please advise for this beginner

• lamborules89
      lamborules89
      Basic
      Hi all

I'm from Peru and completely new to poker. Currently reading Poker for Dummies and this site and playing whenever I find a no download game to get a gist of online poker mechanics.

Tbh, I'm soon to be unemployed and looking for additional income. Of course I'm pursuing other opportunities like updating my skills, studying a master's, etc. But I realize I'll have some free hours that I want to make productive.

Just not having to conmute is already a big advantage. Living in a third world country, I don't need too much. But I'd really appreciate advise if what I want is feasible:

My bankroll is US$500, and I'd like to make US$3.33 @hour, grinding all the time, I guess, will be the name of the game.

I guess I can dedicate about 5 hours each day, studying 2 and playing 3. From what I'm reading, 30 hands @hour is average, thats about 4 months to play ~10000 hands. Will an assesment then be possible? I'm guessing that if by then I'm not making a big enough positive ROI I shoud give up.

Truth is, I have never been interested in poker or games. But I try to see it as an advantage, I'll face it with a disciplined mind and (hopefully) won't get emotional. I'm a quick study, good with numbers and like to stick to the plan. I also come very humbly, willing to work hard (but smart) and with enormous respect to the scarily smart people who have devoted their lives to this game.

I'd be very grateful for your comments and advise. Good luck to all and sorry for my English.

Al
  • 4 replies
    • nmilan84
      nmilan84
      Silver
      Hi there,

your country is amazing... I have been last year to Lima, Cuzco and Nasca, and had a great time...

IMO you should make a deposit on one of the affiliate rooms of Poker Strategy so you could acumulate points and start learning trough articles and videos...

Probably the best starting option is the
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/2018/1/

and
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1992/1/

This are articles that will guide you trough the basics of poker and "big stack strategy" as you have a healthy bankroll you can start very comfortably @ NL2

This is all if you want to play cash games...

If you want to play SnGos or MTTs I am not much of a help but you can surely find interesting stuff on PS for those thing as well...

Greetings to the community and happy grinding... :s_biggrin:
    • nmilan84
      nmilan84
      Silver
      Originally posted by lamborules89

I guess I can dedicate about 5 hours each day, studying 2 and playing 3. From what I'm reading, 30 hands @hour is average, thats about 4 months to play ~10000 hands. Will an assesment then be possible? I'm guessing that if by then I'm not making a big enough positive ROI I shoud give up.

Al
      I don't know where did you see the 30 hands/hour, since even single tabling FR is an average of 60,70 hands/hour so u can make it twice faster than you expected... :s_cool:
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi Al and welcome to the community here!

Ok, so nmilan84 has already helped out, you'll find that a lot here. As long as you're willing to learn people will be ready to help!

As for advice, well how about taking the quiz, passing it of course (not difficult trust me) and getting the free bankroll money to play with?

You can find the information on the front page of this site and it will tell you all about it.

Also, if you click the big green link at the bottom of this post, you get all the information about our NL Beginners Course. It's free, it's run by professionals and you can come and go as you please. You get to see professional coaches play live, talk theory and answer all your poker questions.

Oh, did I mention it's free? Yes, all totally free. All you need to bring to each session is an enthusiasm to learn and a lot of questions for the coach! :D

If you decide to take the quiz, which will enable you to view more content, but aren't sure which room to play at, just answer a couple of questions in the next link and an expert will help you out.

Choosing the right Poker Room for you!

Oh, just a quick note, your idea of 30 hands an hour probably comes from live play, but the game is quicker for various reasons online and you can expect upwards of double that.

Also, your English is very good, I hope mine is just as understandable. :)

Anything else you need to know? Just ask, someone will be along to help out ok?

Have fun and best regards,

Mal.
    • arthurbentley
      arthurbentley
      Silver
      Originally posted by lamborules89
      Good luck to all and sorry for my English.

Al
      Your command of the English language is excellent I have to say. The majority of English speaking people here in the UK struggle even to write a simple coherent sentence. You are clearly an intelligent individual, and if your mental arithmetic, and poker game, is as good as your English, I feel you will do very well online.