Turn: ($4.05) 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $2.50, Hero calls $2.50

River: ($9.05) 7 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $6.75, Hero calls $6.75

Results:
      $22.55 pot ($1.12 rake)
      Final Board: 2 6 A 5 7
      Hero mucked T A and lost (-$11.10 net)
      BTN showed 9 8 and won $21.43 ($10.33 net)

Very small sample so probably ignore the 31/23 stats; all I know is that he's not a complete nit.

Pre: std
      Flop: I think leading here often makes worse fold and only better kicker Ax call, so I choose to bluffcatch.
      Turn: same
      River: I think he's very polarised here with this sizing, as I expect AQ-type hands to pot control at some point. Not sure that calling was the right decision here for these odds, but I expect to see a fair amount of missed diamonds and whatnot.

Maybe fold river without more reads on villain?
  • 7 replies
    • LockONNN
      LockONNN
      Bronze
      First of all, why didnt you cbet the flop? There is a lot of value to get from worse hands.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Member,

Preflop: looks fine but with potentially fishy guys behind we can open 3x.

Postflop: Why are we skipping the cbet without much info on the guy? Ck/calling here is fine if we have some info on the opponent but with no info we should go for a cbet for value and then bet turn as well.

Since he has position I doubt that worse folds that flop. He can have suited aces, draws, pairs between 6 and A.

As played calling river is fine imo. People don't really valuebet many AJ type hands and we should expect AQ+ to 3-bet our small open.
    • member001
      member001
      Bronze
      First of all, why didnt you cbet the flop? There is a lot of value to get from worse hands.

Hi LockONNN,

I dunno, I tend to think that if I lead out here as PFR I always have Ax in villain's eyes, so he will fold everything that I beat and I just isolate myself against better kicker Ax.

If I have AQ+ here I value bet for sure, but with a T kicker what do I hope to get called by - A7-A9? At the moment I feel like I'm having more success check/calling these hands because villains are surprisingly bluff-happy once they think the A scares me.
    • LockONNN
      LockONNN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by member001

Hi LockONNN,

I dunno, I tend to think that if I lead out here as PFR I always have Ax in villain's eyes, so he will fold everything that I beat and I just isolate myself against better kicker Ax.

If I have AQ+ here I value bet for sure, but with a T kicker what do I hope to get called by - A7-A9? At the moment I feel like I'm having more success check/calling these hands because villains are surprisingly bluff-happy once they think the A scares me.
      Hi,

There are a ton of combos paying you off flop. I will assume that he's BU calling range is tight and so there are no worst ace's in there. Even if there is no worse ace, there are a tone of combos that you can make him pay:
      FD combos: 9d8d, 8d7d, 7d6d, 6d5d, QdJd, KdJd, KdQd - 7 combos
      PP combos: 77, 88, 99, TT, JJ - 27 combos

Flush draw he can bet vs missed or not, but definately not folding. Pocket pair combos most villains will check behind but I don't see them folding for 1 barrel at least. Overall you are missing a lot of value and giving him free cards.
    • Optroot
      Optroot
      Bronze
      I don't like this river call at all.

Flop: cbet, as played calling is fine, he can bet his whole range here, but without this info it's not a good idea to go for c/c over cbet.

Turn: c/c is fine. He can still have draws you beat, but notice that there are not many combos of diamonds, given that you have the Td and the Ad is on board. 4d3d and 6d5d got there, there is only a few more. He still bets worse Ax for value here. He has a bunch of stuff that beats you, but it's still worth a call.

River: c/f. I don't see why villain would value bet worse Ax here, there is no way he would think you call with worse on this board. Your range looks like weakish Ax and draws, so there is no point in him vbing a hand like A8 or A4. Almost all of the draws he bets on the turn get there with this card, 6d7d,8d9d. AFAIK villains don't triple barrel spaz with anytwo because you missed your cbet. Villain bluffs with QdJd,KdJd,KdQd and maybe 78, but he has way more combos of twopair/sets/straights to justify a hero call.
    • Optroot
      Optroot
      Bronze
      This isolating against a better range is kinda bullshit. If a 31/23 calls you pre and you cbet A62 and he only calls with better than AT you are printing money by bluff cbetting anytwo, AT would be a perfect hand to "bluff" with because it blocks Ax, and if villain is a tight as you think, you can just c/f turn.

But people are not this tight, and they call and float you with all sorts of crap. For example, I will float most opponents here with 7s5s, bet you didn't expect that! All 6x, 33-55 and 77-99 I might peel once if I don't improve, and a bunch of diamonds, and some spade combos, not to mention every worse suited ace.

There are maybe 100ish combos I call with here as villain vs a cbet, you lose to ~20 of them.
    • member001
      member001
      Bronze
      Thanks Optroot (and LockONNN and BogdanPS), yes that makes a lot of sense and I have learned something, much appreciated.