[NL2-NL10] second pair

    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      Joined: 24.12.2007 Posts: 2,020
      no hud, speed, unknown.

      Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.10(BB) Replayer
      Hero ($10.80)
      BB ($12.40)
      UTG ($8.31)
      UTG+1 ($3.50)
      CO ($11.43)
      BTN ($9.80)

      Dealt to Hero 9:spade: J:spade:

      fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.30, BB calls $0.20

      FLOP ($0.60) A:club: 2:heart: 9:diamond:

      Hero bets $0.40, BB raises to $0.90, Hero calls $0.50

      TURN ($2.40) A:club: 2:heart: 9:diamond: A:spade:

      Hero checks, BB bets $1, Hero calls $1

      RIVER ($4.40) A:club: 2:heart: 9:diamond: A:spade: J:club:

      Hero checks, BB checks

      BB shows 7:diamond: 4:heart:
      (Pre 32%, Flop 3.1%, Turn 0.0%)

      Hero shows 9:spade: J:spade:
      (Pre 68%, Flop 96.9%, Turn 100.0%)

      Hero wins $4.11


      He raises somewhat small and it's weird since I don't have a clue why would he raise Ax here. I know micro limit players don't do every logical moves but still.

      When I called flop I decided to call every turn too if he bets normal size. Is that ok in this spot? (talking from flop perspective)

      Turn is best card ever and I decide to go for c/c T and R. He might have better 9x so I wouldn't go crazy with my hand.

      River is good but I was afraid to bet because even minr is ugly. I could bet $1,80 to get some value from 9x hands I guess. How much would you bet this river if you bet?
  • 5 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Joined: 12.05.2010 Posts: 27,588
      Hi Yax,

      Preflop: looks fine

      Postflop: Given that we really don't have many redraws and he can raise thin for value (Ax) I would look at folding our hand on this flop despite his small raise size. Look at the spot we are in: OOP, weak bluffcatcher, lost initiative and have 2 more streets to play.

      As played I wouldn't bet the river. It's rare that he raises 9x and if he does raise them that means he may have other pairs like TT/JJ and even Ax.
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      Joined: 24.12.2007 Posts: 2,020
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      Postflop: Given that we really don't have many redraws and he can raise thin for value (Ax) I would look at folding our hand on this flop despite his small raise size. Look at the spot we are in: OOP, weak bluffcatcher, lost initiative and have 2 more streets to play.
      So you think he only does it with Ax. So it's best to just play small ball poker not putting yourself into tough spots...noted:)

      Why I called this. It's common even on NL10 people are doing minraises with air but when called don't continue on later streets. My "argument" for calling on flop was "lets call and if he fires turn he really has it". Will try to remove this leak from my game.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Joined: 12.05.2010 Posts: 27,588
      Originally posted by yaxkukmian
      So you think he only does it with Ax. So it's best to just play small ball poker not putting yourself into tough spots...noted:)

      Why I called this. It's common even on NL10 people are doing minraises with air but when called don't continue on later streets. My "argument" for calling on flop was "lets call and if he fires turn he really has it". Will try to remove this leak from my game.
      And you called flop and then didn't follow through with the plan :)

      His small bet suckered you in but Ax can easily play like this (or stronger hands). So in spots like this we either need a bit more info or a stronger bluff catcher that's not gonna make us cry on turn or river.
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      Joined: 24.12.2007 Posts: 2,020
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      And you called flop and then didn't follow through with the plan :)

      His small bet suckered you in but Ax can easily play like this (or stronger hands). So in spots like this we either need a bit more info or a stronger bluff catcher that's not gonna make us cry on turn or river.
      Like I said the best card ever came. I can't fold this. :D
      If any other card (other than 9 and J) came I would (hopefully) go with the plan and fold. But agree with your argument. I may pay small on flop and turn but by the time we get on the river it's already quite a big pot.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Joined: 12.05.2010 Posts: 27,588
      Originally posted by yaxkukmian
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      And you called flop and then didn't follow through with the plan :)

      His small bet suckered you in but Ax can easily play like this (or stronger hands). So in spots like this we either need a bit more info or a stronger bluff catcher that's not gonna make us cry on turn or river.
      Like I said the best card ever came. I can't fold this. :D
      If any other card (other than 9 and J) came I would (hopefully) go with the plan and fold. But agree with your argument. I may pay small on flop and turn but by the time we get on the river it's already quite a big pot.
      I mean the Ax reduces his chance of having an ace by 33% (one of three aces) so there's still a chance he has one or a weirdly played better 9x/TT/JJ.

      The problem is that without reads we are slightly gambling here and hoping.