SH vs FR

• 9 replies
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Not necessarily more fish, but
      a) You are sharing fish with less regs
      b) fish stack off much easier in 6max

I moved from FR to SH and like SH way better.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, Vip3rNZ
      I was reluctant to play SH for quite a while, but now I agree with Metza -- I like it better too.

Even if you play the same from each position as you did in FR, you now are missing the 3 positions you play the least, so you are in more pots.

For one thing, there are fewer players to keep track of.
      I find that I "get to know" the other 5 players at the table quite quickly. Note though, that I play 4 tables max, so that might not apply.

I only play cash, not SnGs -- that might make a difference since SH SnGs only play two places, which might make a difference for you.

Best of luck...
      --VS
    • Vip3rNZ
      Vip3rNZ
      Silver
      I play 4 tables NL10 zoom when relaxing and 28 tables normal when grinding hard for volume, i try to do this like 4-6 hours a week maby this helps, i'm assuming I wouldnt b able to play 28 SH tables as the hands would go around alot faster and i'd be in alot more pots, but i'd also get more vpp/hand also more hands/table
    • NikolaB85
      NikolaB85
      Bronze
      I used to play FR 4 tables and to be honest FR is way less action then SH. Used to make only 3-4+ BI profit per day sometimes lose 3-4 BI. When i switched to SH i started to grind very very good,lot more action and lot more earnings. used to play NL2 and made 160$ profit on UniBet when i finally decided to switch to WPT at 24th this month and play NL10. Deposited 85$ and now i am sitting in 221$. It depends what kind of player you are,what limit you play and how much tables you are playing. For me it is always NL10 4 tables and of course i play the freerols almost everyday and hoping to hit in the money for the first time LOL. Damn those freerols are very hard to get in to the money.

Regards
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      More marginal spots in SH
      More decisions
      More action
      More fun!

Oh and FR tables dry up as you get higher up the limits
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      I would just like to add that I played exclusively on full ring for 4 years and when I went to 6 max I had a horrendous time adjusting. It took me 8 months to become a winning player again, there was so much to learn. I expected everyone to be so much better there and frankly, they just weren't.

I still feel like a full ring player playing 6max. You will likely learn quicker than me though! :D

Just something to keep in mind is all.

Regards,

Mal.
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      I play SH as I enjoy it for more than FR, I feel that it challenges me more than a FR table also as I'm playing more hands and getting myself into new positions more often.

I've also noticed that there are far more SH tables to select from as opposed to FR which unfortunately seem to die out a little once you move up the stakes.
    • Erevos
      Erevos
      Bronze
      Can somebody post some material on what adjustments you need to make moving from FR to SH. I guess i should figure myself..., but what is so different? Preflop aggression? Floating cbets, etc?
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Erevos
      Can somebody post some material on what adjustments you need to make moving from FR to SH. I guess i should figure myself..., but what is so different? Preflop aggression? Floating cbets, etc?
      i made the switch at the beginning of summer and imo you'll have a much easier time moving from FR -> SH rather than SH -> FR. obviously you'll be in more pots in SH but i really don't think it's necessary to change your whole game. just know that the early positions have "disappeared" and then keep playing your usual game. at first i kept my game the same and everything seemed to be fine. i started getting paranoid that people were running over me so i overadjusted a bit and the results suffered.

the main difference is that you are involved in more pots since average VPIP is gunna be much higher ~23% compared to ~14% at fullring. this is a good thing because you will improve quicker and start to work on parts of your game that you didn't really consider in fullring - both pre and postflop.

can't just say what's different between the two because that would be too simple :D . i played FR recently and imo it was a nitfest full of people setmining and fish cold calling 3bets lol. so i'd say SH tends to be more aggressive preflop... also the ranges will be somewhat weaker postflop but can't say anything other than give it a few hands. get a small sample and if you can get used to the (slightly) increased action then all is good!

also, there will be an increase in variance. that's just because of the looser ranges in play and it can/will also work in your favour at times!

if you are looking for an article to say it for you, then there's this one, which i'm sure you've probably already read lol.

gl!

and p.s. after a few k hands at SH you will slap yourself for not moving sooner :D