Floating

• Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      Hi, I've recently moved to NL10 BSS SH and I haven't used this move many times, but I find it pretty profitable against TAGs, since they'll cbet very often and I can take down the pot on the turn with air. But I know it isnt just that simple, I usually don't do it with an ace on the flop because most TAGs raise AT+, but I don't know if there are more things I should consider...

I've called sometimes a raise from a TAG(VPIP~16 and PFR~12, WTS~29, AF > 3 right ?) with very very marginal hands on the BB (if everyone else folds), called his cbet and float on the turn. But I think this is pretty marginal and I doubt it is EV+, so can you explain me on what variables should I depend on to float and is calling preflop with any hand just to float profitable?

I know you'll probably say to not do this move on NL10, but against TAGs regular I think it's ok...
  • 2 replies
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Hi Tosh5457,

floating is a good tool in your arsenal, but don't fall in love with it. There are some things your should bear in mind, when you do it. It's most profitable against TAGs, as you mentioned. The more the tag plays and raises ( VPIP and PFR) the more often will your float be successful. Never ever try to float out of position, as you said you do it in the BB. Don't do it! Assume you are on the Button, Tag raised from CO and you called with 67s ( which is fine), now let's think about the board structure.

1. A :heart: K :diamond: 3 :spade:

--> 2 high cards, no draws possible --> not a good board to float, since he could have hit this one pretty easy.

2. 2 :heart: 3 :club: 8 :spade:

--> low card board, good board to raise on the flop or float your opponent with air.

3. 3 :heart: 9 :spade: T :spade:

--> Very drawy board, you have a gut-shot, so you have at least some outs. This is a good situation to float. Especially if the flush comes in in on the turn your opponent might be scared pretty easily.

4. 2 :spade: 8 :heart: K :club:

--> Only one high card. Floating is possible here. But don't always try it.

I hope this helps you.
      BTW: If you reach platinum status you will find a strategy article about floating in our strategy section.

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      Thanks a lot, that's exactly the kind of explanation I was looking for ^^ .