This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Raise on the flop with air or possible worse hand

• Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      Ok sometimes I go to a flop with a really donkey maniac player who likes to raise my bet on the flop with air. For example I raise 4BBs pf with 77 on CO, donkey from BTN calls. Flop comes Q26 rainbow. I bet and he raises me, if I think I have the best hand what should I do? Calling on the flop and donkbetting turn is weak right? So what should I do, try to see a cheap showdown(call flop, check/call turn, check/call river) or 4bet the fish?
  • 7 replies
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      how sure are you he doesnt have a Queen?

if your sure enough he doesnt, the strongest play is ALL-IN.
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tosh5457
      So what should I do, try to see a cheap showdown(call flop, check/call turn, check/call river) or 4bet the fish?

from experience trying to have a cheap showdown leaves you vunrable.
      if your opponent pics up that your weak or been passive, there going to get agressive on you, putting you under preshure to make a dessision.

thats whay i say go all-in if you sure you have the best hand.

you'll have no more dessisions to make after that and all the preshure will be on your opponent.
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      If you think you have the best hand...why should you go all-in? That makes no sense. If you go all-in he might fold a lot of hands. If you are really sure, you have the best hand, go for pot control and try to see a cheap showdown.

But!

The case you explained: For this is an very easy bet/fold on the flop. Why should you risk your money in such a bad spot? You should rather wait for a better spot. The maniac is loosing his money anyway, so try to get it when you have top pair top kicker or better.

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar
    • generals007
      generals007
      Bronze
      You can never be sure - a maniac might play some weak queen and have hit. You can't play check/call on flop because he might catch sth higher than sevens on turn. I would try a cbet here and if it doesn't work check/fold to the river except the seven comes.

gen
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TribunCaesar
      If you think you have the best hand...why should you go all-in? That makes no sense. If you go all-in he might fold a lot of hands.
      its dependent on the situation,

say you have 7-7 in the pocket anf the flop comes: Q,4,2

if your sure your ahead...and i mean really sure you go all-in and pick up a small pot...its just to easy to get out drewn to 7's...its better than losong a big one.

if you had a more solid hand then no you wouldnt go all-in...you would indeed want value
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by generals007
      You can never be sure - a maniac might play some weak queen and have hit. You can't play check/call on flop because he might catch sth higher than sevens on turn. I would try a cbet here and if it doesn't work check/fold to the river except the seven comes.

gen
      not a bad stratagey there.

i never said you COULD be sure,

i was saying if you fell confident enough he doesnt then you should.

it come down to odds. if its below a 50% chance you oponent haas you beat you go all in as a call will give you 50/50 pot odds. so if the % your beat is below 50 its a winning play.

but if its more than a 50% chance your beat then you dont.
    • generals007
      generals007
      Bronze
      If you argue like that then you will have to know this player's stats, otherwise everything else is just guessing.

Rule of thumb: better fold than call if you are 50% sure :P

gen