[NL20-NL50] [Nl25 Sh] Jj Co

• Optroot
      Optroot
      Bronze
      MP is 39/20 over 56 hands and likes to double barrel OOP. I posted a hand with him "[NL25] AJo BTN". He double barreled and hero called the river when the river bricked. He tends to give up after his 2nd barrel. This hand is the orbit after.

Preflop: Fish limps UTG, and MP raises, vs this guy I prefer to call, which should keep the fish in the pot. If we get it heads-up plan is to let him barrel off. You agree, or rather 3b?

Turn of Qc is a good card for him to barrel, expecting him to have a lot of stuff we beat in his betting range.

Is this line okay, or do you prefer a raise or fold somewhere?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.1/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      CO (Hero):
      $40.25
      BU:
      $35.13
      SB:
      $37.76
      BB:
      $28.91
      MP2:
      $10.07
      MP3:
      $35.70

Preflop: Hero is CO with J, J.
      MP2 calls $0.25, MP3 raises to $1.25, Hero calls $1.25, 4 folds, 3 folds, 2 folds, MP2 folds.

Flop: ($3.1) T, 8, 6 (2 players)
      MP3 bets $2.25, Hero calls $2.25.

Turn: ($7.6) Q (2 players)
      MP3 bets $5.50, Hero calls $5.50.

River: ($18.6) 5 (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $18.6.
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Optroot,

Since this hand happened right after the AJo one it would be important to know what he check/called last time (how light he bluffcatched if at light at all).

Given his stats over the small sample he may be fishy too, the gap between VPIP and PFR is bigger which implies that he either limped or called a lot. So if he was fishy as well we can simply 3-bet for value (similar to AJ hand).

As played the hand looks fine and the only question comes down to the river if we can valuebet thinly or not. I'd take into account what he showed up with in the AJ hand (although this time FD completes).
    • Optroot
      Optroot
      Bronze
      He called w 8s8h in the other hand.

He wasn't limping, but he was cc'ing.

I don't think this is a good spot for a thin value bet, given that he just hero called and lost. I don't think he'll find a call with AT, which is the best hand he can bluff catch (but maybe AsTx can call) given that the flush arrived. I don't think he'll look us up lighter than that. Plus, If he's thinking, he might pick this spot to c/r his value hands and c/r bluff knowing we value bet AJo the last hand, so we can have all sorts of hands that fold to a river c/r.

I thought about a thin turn value raise, maybe to $12-$14 to get value from his draws and get a free showdown, stacks were kind of awkward for that though. I don't know if he'd 3bet this spot with a draw though so I opted not to. It also sets him up to call and shove river which would be a gross spot.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Optroot
      He called w 8s8h in the other hand.

He wasn't limping, but he was cc'ing.

I don't think this is a good spot for a thin value bet, given that he just hero called and lost. I don't think he'll find a call with AT, which is the best hand he can bluff catch (but maybe AsTx can call) given that the flush arrived. I don't think he'll look us up lighter than that. Plus, If he's thinking, he might pick this spot to c/r his value hands and c/r bluff knowing we value bet AJo the last hand, so we can have all sorts of hands that fold to a river c/r.

I thought about a thin turn value raise, maybe to $12-$14 to get value from his draws and get a free showdown, stacks were kind of awkward for that though. I don't know if he'd 3bet this spot with a draw though so I opted not to. It also sets him up to call and shove river which would be a gross spot.
      If he was a fish I'd definitely go for a thin value bet ( and that was my initial assumption given his stats).

Since you don't think he is a fish but more of a reg that likes to play a lot of hands I do agree that this could be very thin and we could invite ck/raises. However, keep in mind that we did not valuebet thin last time so he doesn't (or shouldn't) know that we are even capable of doing that.

On that river we are mostly polarized to AQ+ (if even AQ).

As far as the turn raise goes I don't like it as much because we don't know if he bluffcatches light versus draws or if he just feels that there are too many draws we can raise and ship Tx.