[NL20-NL50] [SH] NL25 AQo

• dannywratten
      Hi, UTG 23/17/69hands seems a tad fishy.
      RFI from UTG 38% (sample probably too small to worry about this)

Felt more comfortable 3betting rather than calling, not sure if it's good though. If it was suited I might lean towards a call, but OOP I wanted to have initiative.

Not sure what the best flop line is, because he seems to rep so little & may be a weaker player I'm not sure if he does this with worse Ax or FD's.
      Maybe he does it with AK?

IP I think I would just call the raise & call turn but OOP I wasn't so sure.
      Shoving was kind of marginal since he folds his random bluffs & some weak draws maybe.

B/F flop too weak though right?

BTN: $107.15 (214.3 bb)
      SB: $131.15 (262.3 bb)
      Hero (BB): $61.90 (123.8 bb)
      UTG: $51.25 (102.5 bb)
      MP: $67.80 (135.6 bb)
      CO: $48.40 (96.8 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q A
      UTG raises to $1.50, 4 folds, Hero raises to $5, UTG calls $3.50

Flop: ($10.25) 2 5 A (2 players)
      Hero bets $5.25, UTG raises to $13.75, Hero raises to $56.90 and is all-in, UTG calls $32.50 and is all-in

Turn: ($102.75) K (2 players, 2 are all-in)
      River: ($102.75) 2 (2 players, 2 are all-in)

$102.75 pot ($3 rake)
      Final Board: 2 5 A K 2
      Hero showed Q A and won $0.00 (-$51.25 net)
      UTG showed 2 2 and won $99.75 ($48.50 net)
  • 2 replies
    • mbml

The sample is way too small so I won't read too much into a 3 out of 8 times type of sample. Flatting is standard and 3betting here basically isolates AQ vs the stronger part of his UTG opening range.

You can still play fairly aggressively even without the initiative.

As played, I think he reps AQ/AK/draws a lot. I don't expect him to have AJ/AT in his range too often preflop, and even if he does, I would see no point in him raising with those hands. Then again, bet/folding your hand here seems kind of silly. I just think you shouldn't get yourself into this position in the first place.

You cannot rule out AK from his PF range simply because in early position, your 3betting range should be very tight against him and thus he can't really 4bet/call AK too profitably.

Good thing going for you is that he shouldn't have 22/55 too often (since most players don't defend baby pocket pairs vs 3bets). Bad thing is that he is likelier to defend them, rather than in later position since your 3bet range is perceived to be more value-heavy and when you are likelier to have monsters, he gains more implied odds defending such hands.

In conclusion, if I am not happy to stack off AQ on this exact board, I shouldn't even have placed myself in this situation in the first place. Like this would have been a snap 3bet/broke spot on the Flop in late positions for me.

• dannywratten
      Thanks! Makes a lot of sense. Didn't read too much into the preflop play in this hand, but I can see how it got me into such a bad postflop spot :)