CO ($20) 100bb
      cincinkid (BTN) ($20) 100bb
      SB ($22.16) 111bb
      BB ($20) 100bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.30, 6 players) cincinkid is BTN 8 Q
      3 folds, cincinkid raises to $0.40, SB calls $0.30, BB calls $0.20

Flop: 3 Q Q ($1.20, 3 players)
      SB bets $0.60, BB raises to $2.40, cincinkid calls $2.40, SB folds

The raise from BB should almost always be a bluff since the PFA is still to act and there are no draws.
      The only reason to raise here is to build the pot with a very strong hand but he scares away all weaker hands with such a play.

Turn: 6 ($6.60, 2 players)
      BB checks, cincinkid checks

raise flop, check turn --> no more potbuilding
      I put him 100% on a bluff so i decided i can only get money from him if i induce a bluff from him again.

River: 5 ($6.60, 2 players)
      BB bets $17.20, cincinkid calls $17.20

I don't think he could ever play a strong Qx like this because he would easily get more value if he bets turn and ships river.
      In addition i never showed real strength so even if it's a very scary bet it looks like he just wants to force me out of the pot.

Final Pot: $41
  • 1 reply
    • mbml

Flop: You really think BB randomly attacks SB's lead here, with you still left to act behind him?

His stats do look kind of aggro though. I'm not thrilled about cold-calling the 3bet. Your hand is face-up as QX though, you should be folding overpairs in this spot here.

Turn: I think when you check, you may occasionally be trapping with some full houses but your range mostly looks like weak QX to me. I don't think it is out of the question for him to attempt a c/r with the nuts though.

River: It could definitely be a desperate bluff, but it could also be an overbet with the nuts.

To be honest this is kind of a tricky spot and I'm not completely sure what the best play is. You could opt to fold your weaker QX hands and call with the upper portions of your range. Would you have bet AQ/KQ/QJ on the Turn? If you still can have some of those stronger QX hands here, I would just call with those, while folding this weak Q8 hand.

When you are unsure about certain spots and how your opponent plays in certain rare situations, it's never going to be too wrong to revert to a Game Theory Optimal style.