Buying a poker monitor

• PickoCro
      PickoCro
      Platinum
      Hi all. I am buying a monitor for poker, so i was just wondering what should the specifications for the monitor be to allow me to play 12 tables without overlapping (stars and party)?

I googled it a bit but every article i found was like from 2008, so obviously tehnology has changed since then. :D

The article said that a 24" monitor with 1980 x 1080 resolution is enough to 12 table without problems, so i found a 25" one with that resolution for a fairly cheap price and was wondering should i just buy that, or are there some other things i should take into consideration?

Thx in advance
  • 12 replies
    • Itsnevereasy
      Itsnevereasy
      Bronze
      I am also going to buy a new monitor soon. My advice to you is to buy a 27". I have a 24" and its not big enough for 12 tables. OK the resolution is probably worse than 1980 x 1080, but 27" is way better. Because remember, even if you fit everything on your monitor, you still have to be able to see the HUD well otherwise you will end up making bad decisions/ruining your eyes.

Hope that helps.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hey guys,
      I've moved this to Smalltalk ok?

Just a point, I have a new 27 inch Samsung HD monitor and twelve tables sits in three rows of four overlap a bit over the middle row form the top of the bottom four.

Regards,

Mal.
    • PickoCro
      PickoCro
      Platinum
      So basically if i buy a 30"+ one with the 1920x1080 resolution i am good to go?
    • PickoCro
      PickoCro
      Platinum
      Yep, just googled the prices and decided i will not be buying a 30" one. :D

The cheapest 30" costs like 3 times more then the cheapest 27" one, wtf?
    • PoincaresConjecture
      PoincaresConjecture
      Bronze
      i have a 24'' samsung sm 2443 bw. NO WAY to tile 12 tables on it with decent HUD, 9 are max.

regards
    • imbahness
      imbahness
      Platinum
      Originally posted by PickoCro
      Yep, just googled the prices and decided i will not be buying a 30" one. :D

The cheapest 30" costs like 3 times more then the cheapest 27" one, wtf?
      you can buy 2x 22 for the price of a 27, and those are perfect for 12 tabling , if you have some very specific hud , 5rows++ then buy 2x 24 , still for almost the price of 1 27''
    • PoincaresConjecture
      PoincaresConjecture
      Bronze
      just as a general question btw:

i dont really get, why people want to play 12+ tables tiled? i cant follow the action on all those tables anyway. i like 4 stacks of 3 for example better
    • PickoCro
      PickoCro
      Platinum
      Ended up buying a 27 inch one, because i found one for a pretty cheap price...

Guess i can at least 9 table properly, or i can extended view it with my laptop if i want to play more.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
    • jigglybutt
      jigglybutt
      Bronze
      I use my laptop and hook it up to my 42 inch Samsung tv through an HDMI cable. It does the job very nicely If I wanted to I could play up to about 16 tables but they would be overlapping.

Only problem is I have enough of a hard time playing more than 8 at a time. Guess it takes practice eh! :)

But yeah I wouldn't propose getting a monitor instead get a HDMI cable and hook it up to your laptop or whatever you play on and set your game up on your tv if you have a big one. Makes a world of difference on my eyes..

Cheers
    • jigglybutt
      jigglybutt
      Bronze
      I just noticed your last post lmao ... My bad!

So how how do you get more table on your laptop while having as many as you can on your laptop? I'm not a technology buff by any means. I always see people playing with like 4 monitors. I don't get it.

Interested in knowing how that is done to get many many table.

Thanks
    • PickoCro
      PickoCro
      Platinum
      Originally posted by jigglybutt
      I just noticed your last post lmao ... My bad!

So how how do you get more table on your laptop while having as many as you can on your laptop? I'm not a technology buff by any means. I always see people playing with like 4 monitors. I don't get it.

Interested in knowing how that is done to get many many table.

Thanks

Right click, graphic options, output to, extended desktop, notebook+monitor, or something similar on windows7, or 8 (you can google it in a few seconds).

Originally posted by jigglybutt
      I use my laptop and hook it up to my 42 inch Samsung tv through an HDMI cable. It does the job very nicely If I wanted to I could play up to about 16 tables but they would be overlapping.

Only problem is I have enough of a hard time playing more than 8 at a time. Guess it takes practice eh!

But yeah I wouldn't propose getting a monitor instead get a HDMI cable and hook it up to your laptop or whatever you play on and set your game up on your tv if you have a big one. Makes a world of difference on my eyes..

Cheers
      Can t use the tv cause its in the living room and my roommates are always there, so i can t concentrate on pretty much anything when they re around. :f_biggrin:
    • BluffMe1980
      BluffMe1980
      Basic
      It's probably a bit late for pointing that out, especially seeing you already made the call and bought one, but I'd say that getting two smaller monitors with a native 1920x1080 resolution is a better idea if you're able to read everything without trying too hard (ie. the screens are going to be situated reasonably close). Basically, with two monitors you get a 3840x1080 workspace and with a single one you get 1920x1080 whether it's 17" or 42". You could actually check how many tables you can keep open without overlapping by using some graphics editing software to measure a single window's size in pixels after taking a screenshot.