Poker ethics

• zayd88
      zayd88
      Bronze
      What part do I play in the lives of people who have gambling addictions? This question has always bothered me. While I may not play someone like this everyday I have surely played one at some point and hurt him or her by doing so. Clearly I'm not part of the solution, I'm the benefactor. I want to be a good person though, but what does this say about me? What are my responsibilities?
  • 30 replies
    • clockshovel
      clockshovel
      Bronze
      Best thing you can do imo is continue taking their money.

First off, as you said, you benefit.

Secondly, you said you wanted to be a good person, so if someone lost all their money a bunch of times (by you taking it from them) then I would imagine they would stop playing at some point.
    • fun101rockets
      fun101rockets
      Bronze
      a good poker player must be ruthless
      that is the nature of betting
    • sismis
      sismis
      Bronze
      Gamblers always suck out on you so just take what you can :)
      Seriously, they would lose money anyway to someone else.
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      whether you take their money or not won't affect their gambling addiction, plus some gamblers actually enjoy losing.(not as much as winning, of course)

also, a lot of the bad players who give you their money have plenty of money and are just playing for fun.

finally, if you get very good, then you can beat winning players and take their money, which is definately morally OK.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      wow) what a thread) sorry, but its just silly)

poker is intellectual game, where edge=skill
      Its like car factory worker, who blames himself for all the car accidents happening...
      Its great that you want to be a good person, but do it smart way)
      otherwise, with such understanding of "ethics" one should be living in a cave...
      donate % of your winnings)
      im sure there are some associations that deal with gambling addiction
    • zayd88
      zayd88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xylere
      wow) what a thread) sorry, but its just silly)

poker is intellectual game, where edge=skill
      Its like car factory worker, who blames himself for all the car accidents happening...
      Its great that you want to be a good person, but do it smart way)
      otherwise, with such understanding of "ethics" one should be living in a cave...
      donate % of your winnings)
      im sure there are some associations that deal with gambling addiction
      I agree with you poker is an intellectual game, but that's small comfort when you genuinely care about the welfare of those people who can't keep it together. I guess that comes from my life though, I've seen a lot of addiction and understand the damage it does to people, especially children. It runs in families straight across generations. It starts young, most of the time before someone even has the chance to figure out who they are. That's why it bothers me, some of these people weren't taught how to make decisions as children (or even loved for that matter) and when I play against them I'm a part of their emotional stunt. That's human potential down the drain. I regret that.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      comfort? sorry, but seems like you are simply searching for excuse to adjust your perception of reality)
      The duty of every family is to protect their kids and provide them with up to date useful information about whats going on around)
      the problem is most parents have no idea themselves, but thats a problem of society
      by making yourself feeling comfortable you won't contribute anyhow)

and imo, you are making things too dark
      there is an age restriction for playing poker
      and well, 18 is just about the time to learn how to deal with your addicitons)

some of the "kids" made a fortune playing poker at that age, some didn't
      well, thats reality
    • zayd88
      zayd88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xylere
      comfort? sorry, but seems like you are simply searching for excuse)
      its a duty of every family to protect their kids and provide them with up to date useful information about whats going on around)
      the problem is most parents have no idea themselves, but thats a problem of society
      by making yourself feeling comfortable you won't contribute anyhow)

and imo, you are making things too dark
      there is an age restriction for playing poker
      and well, 18 is just about the time to learn how to deal with your addicitons)
      No excuses, this is how I feel. I think it's anti-social to maneuver around it too. I kind of lost touch with that part of me and I think coming to terms with poker and gambling in general is an important part of my growth. I want to contribute something one day and balancing that with poker is hard. It's still a fun hobby though, so I guess what I can take away from this is the importance of playing it in a healthy context. I don't want to hurt people, I just want to have fun.
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Are you feeling bad to, when you eat an apple?
      You know, in a third world countries lot's of people don't have anything to eat. Will you stop eating too?

Or even better, when you eat an apple, you stole this apple from someone else and now he will starve, maybe even die.

Like xylere said, you should be living in a cave :) But hey again, someone else could live in it...
    • zayd88
      zayd88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by CoreySteel
      You know, in a third world countries lot's of people don't have anything to eat. Will you stop eating too?

Or even better, when you eat an apple, you stole this apple from someone else and now he will starve, maybe even die.

Like xylere said, you should be living in a cave :) But hey again, someone else could live in it...
      I should be living in a cave. That's funny. Imagine if everyone played poker for a living, there wouldn't be very many houses would there?

And no me eating an apple doesn't make me a thief. That's just silly. :tongue:

"cause in a town called sorrow there was joy
      yes and there I met the painless tear
      freed he expressed emotions that egos fear
      my life is full of colors yeah my mind is clear" - Rainbow in the Sky, Ziggy Marley

These lyrics fit so well with this thread!
    • Backcushion
      Backcushion
      Bronze
      Well,then poker isn't for you ;)
    • zayd88
      zayd88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Backcushion
      Well,then poker isn't for you ;)
      You must have misread something!
    • Backcushion
      Backcushion
      Bronze
      Originally posted by zayd88
      I want to contribute something one day and balancing that with poker is hard.

I don't want to hurt people, I just want to have fun.
      Oh sorry then.
    • zayd88
      zayd88
      Bronze
      Oh sorry then.
      No problem!
    • NRGBlaze
      NRGBlaze
      Bronze
      wow! and i thought that i have issues!
      man you must be feeling really bad when you're taking your salary from your boss. You earned it but think about how happy his family will be with these extra money
      I don't want to hurt people, I just want to have fun.

there are play money accounts on every poker site you know
    • zayd88
      zayd88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NRGBlaze
      wow! and i thought that i have issues!
      man you must be feeling really bad when you're taking your salary from your boss. You earned it but think about how happy his family will be with these extra money
      Believe it or not when you work hard people are more than happy to pay you a salary. You don't even have to take it, they just give it to you! Weird huh?
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Originally posted by zayd88
      Originally posted by CoreySteel

I should be living in a cave. That's funny. Imagine if everyone played poker for a living, there wouldn't be very many houses would there?

And no me eating an apple doesn't make me a thief. That's just silly. :tongue:

"cause in a town called sorrow there was joy
      yes and there I met the painless tear
      freed he expressed emotions that egos fear
      my life is full of colors yeah my mind is clear" - Rainbow in the Sky, Ziggy Marley

These lyrics fit so well with this thread!
      What has that to do with "playing poker for a living"? You were taking about taking money from someone and hurting him with that...

And I didn't mean "stole" as a thief, but If you ate an apple, someone else won't and you are hurting this special someone. So you should stop eating.

If you don't want to hurt people, you should be living in a cave. This is what I meant. But I guess you would hurt a bear this way... Do you have problems with animals too?
    • zayd88
      zayd88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by CoreySteelWhat has that to do with "playing poker for a living"? You were taking about taking money from someone and hurting him with that...

And I didn't mean "stole" as a thief, but If you ate an apple, someone else won't and you are hurting this special someone. So you should stop eating.

If you don't want to hurt people, you should be living in a cave. This is what I meant. But I guess you would hurt a bear this way... Do you have problems with animals too?
      I've already said everything I have to say. It's my opinion. I enjoy reading yours, but don't think I'm going to spend an afternoon arguing against it. It's not worth it when we can just agree to disagree.

But since you changed the topic to food in third world countries, there are some great charities you can be a part of if you're interested in helping. Kiva is my favourite. :)
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      Corey steels arguments are invalid and stupid, OP's arguments and concerns does make sense. We're taking peoples money but we're not contributing to society at all. That's a problem (not) but it would be if everyone played poker.
      Stop flaming someone for making a thread like this donks
      i
      m
      o