[NL2-NL10] A10cc SB vs CO LAG

• zachrina

This is not a play I feel comfortable with but hope it is okay and makes sense.

I decide to 3 bet villain as he is a LAG who's range will be fairly wide opening from the CO. He calls and we see a flop of 7810r to which I have TPTK so I Cbet 70% pot which he calls. For me the 3s on turn changes nothing except makes a possible FD with the 10s. To be honest I don't really have a clue what range I put this guy on and only base my betting on his style. I made my mind up to shove to take down the pot right there. I didn't want to give any cheap cards to complete any SDs and any bets would commit me anyway so hope this was an okay way to play this hand??? Any thoughts?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      SB (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, T.
      4 folds, CO raises to $0.40, BU folds, Hero raises to $1.40, BB folds, CO calls $1.00.

Flop: ($2.9) 7, 8, T (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.84, CO calls $1.84.

Turn: ($6.58) 3 (2 players)
      Hero raises to $6.51, CO folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $6.58.
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      Hi Zachrina,

Preflop: Our hand is strong versus his opening range I would just call here. As soon as we 3-bet we turn it into a bluff and we will be dominated by his calling range often (although it's better to 3-bet a hand like this rather than offsuite broadways).

Postflop: Is his 4x open standard from CO? he may have a sizing tell.

AS played does anything worse really call our turn shove or anything better fold?

Maybe you get a rare Tx to call but the rest is either a set, some 2p or overpair.

So if you made up your mind to put all the money in there are better ways to do it (for example checking to let him bet his floats).
    • zachrina
      These are the spots I really need to work on.

To be honest it was more of a frightened shove, i can't lie!
      I think I need some further help on spots like this (extracting more money when I think I'm ahead).
      I thought my 10 with TK was best and didn't want a SD to get there or even TP. It happens too often so wanted to kill it there. Is this a common beginners mistake??
      I have asked about private coaching for beginners in my locker room thread. Can you recommend any and will I benefit at this level??

• zachrina
      I've gone over the hand many times and agree with a call pre flop.
      So we call and hit this flop. How do I proceed? check / call? lead out? I suppose it's the fine line between pot control and protection here. Also shows the importance of being in position.
      I just feel that if I give villain a free card on the river the way I play it then there aren't many cards that I am going to be happy with. Any bet by villain would be leave me with a difficult decision.

So if I just call pre I am both controlling the pot size early on and exercising some caution. I bloated the pot and left myself with a pot sized bet behind on the turn and paniced. "Big pots for big hands and small pots for small hands eh!".