Advice for new PC

• kiromanAAKK
      kiromanAAKK
      Bronze
      Please guys I need your valuable helps

I need urgently a new PC and Im very short/tight on money at moment as Im out of business due healthy issues

I found this PC for around £220 (GBP)

DELL FAST DUAL CORE 5.6Ghz WINDOWS 7 DESKTOP PC 1TB GAMING TOWER COMPUTER 1000GB
      4GB RAM ATI DUAL SCREEN GRAPHICS
      Item specifics
      Condition: refurbished: Brand: Dell
      Operating System Edition: Home Premium Model: Win7 Dual Screen Display ATI WiFI DVDRW Upgrades
      Memory (RAM): 4 GB Processor Type: Pentium D
      Hard Drive: 1 TB Processor Speed: 2 x 2.8Ghz
      Primary Drive: DVD-ROM/CD-RW Operating System: Windows 7
      Features: Network Card

What do you think?

TY :)
  • 15 replies
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Can't got wrong for £220.

I think you'll find that most PC around the budget prices are the same and do most of your everyday tasks without a problem.

It also has Windows 7 instead of Windows 8 which is a win for me :D
    • acetbfish
      acetbfish
      Bronze
      The Cpu is good enough but the graphics card isn't the best, especially for gaming. But I guess that the price is ok for that PC.

Btw, if you want to play poker on that PC, you definitely need a ssd hard drive. HM2 and Pt4 lagg really bad on 5400 and 7200 rpm hard drives, regardless the other aspects of the PC.
    • BluffMe1980
      BluffMe1980
      Basic
      Originally posted by acetbfish
      The Cpu is good enough but the graphics card isn't the best, especially for gaming. But I guess that the price is ok for that PC.

Btw, if you want to play poker on that PC, you definitely need a ssd hard drive. HM2 and Pt4 lagg really bad on 5400 and 7200 rpm hard drives, regardless the other aspects of the PC.
      Agree on that, it's a bit suspicious they don't even mention a specific model of the graphics card. Still, when it comes to gaming you have to remember most games are console ports nowadays and the x360/ps3 generation has been around so long even budget cards should work okay-ish most of the times... I mean I've ran 2011-2012 games on my GF 7900 on low details without any major problems. Just don't expect full HD graphics and you're going to be fine.

Anyway - could you elaborate on the HM2/Pt4 SSD issue? How big are the lags and is there any way to avoid them?
    • acetbfish
      acetbfish
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BluffMe1980

Agree on that, it's a bit suspicious they don't even mention a specific model of the graphics card. Still, when it comes to gaming you have to remember most games are console ports nowadays and the x360/ps3 generation has been around so long even budget cards should work okay-ish most of the times... I mean I've ran 2011-2012 games on my GF 7900 on low details without any major problems. Just don't expect full HD graphics and you're going to be fine.

Anyway - could you elaborate on the HM2/Pt4 SSD issue? How big are the lags and is there any way to avoid them?
      All the tracking software rely on how fast your hard is drive since the hands are stored in the hard drive and the tracking software needs to process them as fast as possible to display the stats on the hud. So, having a ssd drive (which are a lot faster than the 7200 and 5400 rpm hard drives) is the optimal for programs like HM2 and PT4.

I have a laptop which has 5400 rpm hard drive, 2.2 dual core cpu and 4gb ram. It runs without any problem the HM1 and the PT3. However, HM2 was crashing after opening some tables and PT4 was running fine for 5000 hands but after that the hud stopped working (the stats wouldn't renew). Having a 7200 rpm HDD is really a lot better than a 5400 rpm but again the program won't be as responsive as it would be with a ssd.
      You can always do some maintenance on you HDD (like defrag) but this is only a temporary solution.
    • BluffMe1980
      BluffMe1980
      Basic
      Yeah, I expected something like that, but not to the point that the speed of the hard drive would actually affect performance when handling what essentially is a text file. I mean how large can your database get? Unless I have the wrong idea about tracking software, it should be perfectly possible to handle that using your computers memory, so that sounds a bit like some sloppy programming. I guess I'll give it a shot with my HDD even though I don't like the idea of being forced to buy an SDD drive for my laptop weeks after getting the computer itself.
    • acetbfish
      acetbfish
      Bronze
      If your database has less than 500 000 hands, a 7200 rpm HDD will be fine.
    • kiromanAAKK
      kiromanAAKK
      Bronze
      How about this machine? HERE

with this graphic card

XFX ATI HD5450 1GB GDDR3 Gaming Graphics Card

he said that can support far to three monitors (may be true?)

TYVM :)
    • BluffMe1980
      BluffMe1980
      Basic
      This card seems to have a VGA, DVI and HDMI port. So yeah, it probably does support up to three monitors but you might want to make sure that they can be connected via a HDMI port if you want to have same type x3 because converting HDMI to VGA sort of sucks.
    • kiromanAAKK
      kiromanAAKK
      Bronze
      Thx to almost all your valuable suggestions I manage to make all together and finally bought new machine with

Quad core
      SSD Drive
      1GB Graphic card
      plus usual large HD with 8GB of Ram

only thing Im not sure is the operative system in W7 that to be honest doesn't convince me a lot but anyway all the rest should come fine

This machine should be able now to allow me to back in business and finally manage to get Skype open so eventually I can have a poker bud (and more :D )

Thanks guys for your time and attention :)
    • acetbfish
      acetbfish
      Bronze
      How much did it cost?
    • kiromanAAKK
      kiromanAAKK
      Bronze
      How much did it cost?
      £279 + Postage and packing
    • acetbfish
      acetbfish
      Bronze
      From which store?
    • kiromanAAKK
      kiromanAAKK
      Bronze
      Is it a good price?

It was originally £350 but we manage to come to that price after long negotiation (in two words I have begged on my knees :D )

Cash Generator
    • acetbfish
      acetbfish
      Bronze
      I think that yeah, it is a really nice price! I was also searching for desktop and couldn't find anything with such components cheaper than 500 euros.
    • kiromanAAKK
      kiromanAAKK
      Bronze
      I think that yeah, it is a really nice price! I was also searching for desktop and couldn't find anything with such components cheaper than 500 euros.
      yea mate, i think it was a bargain