SSS SB play

• Tde
      Tde
      Bronze
      Hi guys!

Firstly I would like to apologise for opening a new thread if there already exists a similar one but to tell you the truth, I was too lazy to look it up among all those other threads.

I started playing SSS a few days ago and I'm doing OK, but every once in a while (when I'm on SB) I get a hand that is, well, not as good as any hand in SSS chart, but "good enough" for me to think I should call that extra .05 to maybe see the flop very cheap.

Now the problem is that I frankly don't know which hand is good enough to be profitably calling that $.05 in a long run - taking away those in the SSS chart.

My question is: how do you correctly play SSS from a SB; do you stick to the SSS hands and neglect those $.05 or do you call with - for example - Sklansky-Malmuth group 3 - 7?

Thank you in advance,
      Tde
  • 4 replies
    • SunWukung
      SunWukung
      Bronze
      I'd say it depends on number of limpers before you. If you get some great pot odds, then I'd maybe complete with smaller pocket pair + any two face cards. But as you are first to act post flop you really need to hit big on flop to continue with that hand. Otherway the beginner could get in a lot of trouble so maybe just folding PF is more +EV for beginner.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Completing SB first-in is a weak move, folding is the best choice in this case.

However if you hold Kojak or Pocket Pair 6 or lower , it depends on the limpers in front of you.
      I limp in with any Pocket pair that is not on the SHC if there are 2 á 3 limpers in front of me. Depends of their aggression.

I fold mostly any QJ, Kojak, AT on SB as they are considered trouble hands, especially for beginners who think 'They are not good enough to raise but not bad enough to fold'

Seeing from your post, you are not a beginner of charts (sklansky etc.) so I suggest you try to experiment and take notes of your progressions with it ;)
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Hey Tde,

irstly I would like to apologise for opening a new thread if there already exists a similar one

there should be at least 50 of them :D

whenever you have a SSS question, just go to search
      choose General Poker Discussion forum
      and Search for Username: xylere :D

plenty of golden advices there :P

standard limping chart is

any pp with 2+ limpers
      suited broadway one gappers 2+
      suited connectors with 3+
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xylere
      suited broadway one gappers 2+
      So what do you do when you have QJs or JTs ? When do you limp then. And does this matter if its suited or not?
      Thanks Xyl.