Moving up

• tomzyb
      tomzyb
      Bronze
      So rethinking of the conversation we had with Opal99, i decided i might should really move up to 1/2 SH.

So i want to ask you, which way is good to do it?
      I had in mind to play some 0.5/1 and some 1/2 tables at the beggining (the best tables from both limits), because than i can find 4-6 very good tables during entire days.

On addition i am showing my stats and will be glad to read any helpfull suggestinos about it.

Some notes: stealraises a bit too low, fold SB and fold BB are a bit high, because i avoid most marginal situations as i am not good enaugh at playing them postfolp
  • 18 replies
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Hi tomzyb,

I always played one table in my first session at the new limit. The second 2 tables and so on (I only play 4 tables at a time).
      I thik the best would be to really start with 1 table to get a feeling of the new limit. If you feel comfortable you can add tables. I think playing 50/50 (old/new limit) for some time (maybe 100BB at the new limit) should be the best.

I like your BB and SB fold to steal values. The opponents dont raise that much so it shouldn't be lower.

Your wts and pfr is a bit low. But that again should be fine at this limit (many callers in front of you so you can limp more as well) and they don't bluff too much so folding a bit more should be fine as well.
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      like ciRith said: start with 1 table (maybe 2). You have to feel comfortable with new limit and with higher stakes, what is the biggest problem (at least for me :) ).

On the other hand, I don't like idea with playing 2 limits at the same time (not at the beginning). When I did it, I always lost more BB on lower limit tables than on new limit, because I focused on new one much more. Maybe it's just me, but think about it ;)

So, try 1-2 tables, enjoy game and review every session at the beggining.

good luck :)
    • tomzyb
      tomzyb
      Bronze
      Survived the first day.

Played about 550 hands on 0.5/1 and 700 on 1/2. Was lucky, won a bit more than 50$. Running good definitely helps to get reed of fear, but i will probably need about 2 weeks to get use to the amounts. At the begining i was up 70$ later on down to -60$ and finished with +55$. Definetly dollar swings i am not used to but i didn't even notice it today as i was to busy with the game (only noticed it in the Elephant when stoped playing).

On the other hand, I don't like idea with playing 2 limits at the same time (not at the beginning). When I did it, I always lost more BB on lower limit tables than on new limit, because I focused on new one much more. Maybe it's just me, but think about it

Very very true. The 0.5/1 just lost importance all in a sudden. Better to play only one limit allso for me. But will still continue with it when playing during the day time as there are less hardcore fishie tables that i prefer to play on.
    • tomzyb
      tomzyb
      Bronze
      Speaking of a good start :D

But WTSD 34% and W$@SD 44%, so i think i couldn't do much there, so it's ok, it's not even a real downswing yet ;) .
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by tomzyb
      But WTSD 34% and W$@SD 44%, so i think i couldn't do much there, so it's ok, it's not even a real downswing yet ;) .
      yea; shit happens.. My 1st hands on new limit:

WTSD 39% and W@SD 43.6% (looks similar, isn't it? ;) )

-$479.5 = -6.8BB/100 hands
    • tomzyb
      tomzyb
      Bronze
      Finished the day 300$ down (150BB). Stats still the same after 1800 hands, lost more or less every big hand. Now i can call it downswing, i hope it turns around soon.
    • tomzyb
      tomzyb
      Bronze
      Speaking of turning around soon, my 1.st 10k hands on 1/2:

The max reached -250BB, WTSD 33%, W$@SD 50% over 10k hands.
      My hearth is turning into stone, entering every pot with thoguhts: "i am loosing it anyway", and i do more or less, so my predictions turn correct :) .

PokerStrars obviously wanna get rid of me.

I hope i am not getting TerrorBlade's "luck" sindrom :( .
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Uh... Ugly :(
      Tomorrow I'm moving up to 0.5/1 and now I'm little scared :P
    • tomzyb
      tomzyb
      Bronze
      Just abandon all hopes, Stars are rigged :) .

That way you won't get dissapointed too much.

Played another 600 hands and lost anoter 50BB so i am at about -300BB now for this limit. The worst bad run i had my entire (not very long) poker carer, longest lasting and biggest. I hope it will come arond some day, but doubt it more and more with every hand i play. Thanks to 240$ reload bonus my bankroll is still big enaugh to play 1/2 (780 BB), although smaller than yesterday before starting to play :( . And i have additional 24k FPPs, which can get used in case of total disaster.

Now i am thinking of how to regain a bit confidence (i guess i would need at least a 2-day heater to make it back to zero). I was thinking of maybe getting totaly wasted today :tongue: , but unfortunately it's not the weekend so posibilities for good company are smaller.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Taking a break should be the best option. Read some articles or view some pokervideos.
      This might motivate you again. :)

300BB is a lot but it happens and you will get even bigger downswings in your career and the upswing will even be bigger. :D
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      My first day at new limit was bad too. I lost ~40BB. But a good thing is - I know I played bad :)
    • tomzyb
      tomzyb
      Bronze
      Heh, and i only lost 22BB today so i am quite happy :)
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      I have a HUGE upswing at new limit. It is almost unreal.
    • tomzyb
      tomzyb
      Bronze
      Ok, so last month i tried FL 1/2 again and it worked out this time so far, 1.5 BB/100, but last week i caught an ugly downswing...PokerStars makes me so sick sometimes :spade: .

• tomzyb
      tomzyb
      Bronze
      Ok so this was my second attempt on FL SH 1/2:

I got a bit bored by it by now, so i'll test my game on 2/4 from now on, even though my BR isn't very big to play it (2250$ + 30k FPPs), but i can allways move back down, right ;) ?

Wish me luck :P
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      500BB should be enough :)
    • tomzyb
      tomzyb
      Bronze
      Yeah, but i am a bit more of a conservative tipe..
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by tomzyb
      Yeah, but i am a bit more of a conservative tipe..
      me too; and it didn't help me so far :P