This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] 1 4 q9

• Dracsharp
      Dracsharp
      Bronze
      Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.10(BB) Replayer
      SB ($13.48)
      Hero ($10.30)
      UTG ($10.31)
      UTG+1 ($4.71)
      CO ($10)
      BTN ($12.71)

Dealt to Hero Q:club: 9:club:

fold, fold, fold, fold, SB raises to $0.30, Hero raises to $0.90, SB calls $0.60

FLOP ($1.80) 7:heart: 8:diamond: 6:heart:

SB checks, Hero bets $1, SB calls $1

TURN ($3.80) 7:heart: 8:diamond: 6:heart: 9:heart:

SB checks, Hero checks

RIVER ($3.80) 7:heart: 8:diamond: 6:heart: 9:heart: 3:spade:

SB bets $2.30, Hero calls $2.30

SB shows T:diamond: 7:diamond:
      (Pre 39%, Flop 65.7%, Turn 96.6%)

Hero shows Q:club: 9:club:
      (Pre 61%, Flop 34.3%, Turn 3.4%)

SB wins $7.84

• 5 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hey Dracsharp,

Preflop: the guy seems to be on the fishy side and doesn't fold to 3-bets thus I would not 3-bet hands like this that could get us in dominated scenarios. Instead I'd simply increase my value range versus him and bluff with hands like 67s.

Postflop: As played the river is close because most draws got there on the turn. We only really beat some random bluffs/floats and 6x/7x turned into a bluff which aren't many.

So I think it's closer to a fold.
    • Dracsharp
      Dracsharp
      Bronze
      Pre i obviously meant it as bluff, i think it's on par with a low sc due to higher cards, i would prefer a j9s over a 56s.

I also found his betsize odd, would he bet so big with a jj ? What would i call ? He seemed to rep tx,flush or nothing.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Dracsharp
      Pre i obviously meant it as bluff, i think it's on par with a low sc due to higher cards, i would prefer a j9s over a 56s.

I also found his betsize odd, would he bet so big with a jj ? What would i call ? He seemed to rep tx,flush or nothing.
      I think the problem is that he doesn't have a ton of hands that he can bluff with.

Why exactly would you prefer a dominated hand versus a non dominated one in a spot where you will get called a lot? Q9 vs 76?
    • Dracsharp
      Dracsharp
      Bronze
      Well i am obviously here to learn but domination doesn't happen that often nor i will look forward to invest a lot even if i hit, but q can overcut his pairs.

I realize 76s has triple chance over q9 to flop an oesd about 10% , and 7 or 6 will be unlikely dominated but the lower we go the more likely his pp-s will overcut it, q while could get dominated 7 or 6 can't take much heat either.

I wouldn't say i really prefer q9s over 76s but this just felt good too. 67s has about 50-50 chance to flop something, this obvious lower for q9s by about 6% but flops better pairs, and also q holds some blocker value.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Dracsharp
      Well i am obviously here to learn but domination doesn't happen that often nor i will look forward to invest a lot even if i hit, but q can overcut his pairs.

I realize 76s has triple chance over q9 to flop an oesd about 10% , and 7 or 6 will be unlikely dominated but the lower we go the more likely his pp-s will overcut it, q while could get dominated 7 or 6 can't take much heat either.

I wouldn't say i really prefer q9s over 76s but this just felt good too. 67s has about 50-50 chance to flop something, this obvious lower for q9s by about 6% but flops better pairs, and also q holds some blocker value.
      Blocker value is great when villain plays closer to a 4-bet or fold game.

In this case we can assume villain calls a lot and while we don't each flop a Qx often it still happens enough that we can "spew" money away. We also may find it hard to lay down a Qx rather than a 7x or 6x.

Even if PPs overcut it that doesn't mean that we can't make those PPs fold. On many boards we can easily get 88-TT(JJ) to fold.

So in a spot where villain calls a lot I want to raise an extended value range and reduce my bluffs to hands that can play versus his calling range without a lot of trouble.

If I flop a 7 and get raised/called or if I flop a Q and get raised/called it's a different story, because 7x is much easier to let go.