facing horrible flop with overpair

• ninjakalz
      ninjakalz
      Bronze
      would like to hear your thoughts about this hand. How would you play it?
      CO is a very spewy fish and bb is a hyperfish on tilt.
      i could have made the c-bet a bit bigger, but it was mostly for information. if CO would jam i would probably do a crying fold.
      BB has shipped/called to river like 1/3 hands often with second pair or worse.
      I can't really see villain let go of like AQ AJ AT KQ KJ KT a Ax flushdraw and ofc not any hands that beats me.
      $0.50/$1 No Limit Holdem
      HEM2
      5 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
      UTG ($239.36) 239bb
      CO ($880.54) 881bb
      BTN ($203.14) 203bb
      hero (SB) ($94.54) 95bb
      BB ($92.34) 92bb

Pre-Flop: ($1.50, 5 players) hero is SB K:heart: K:club:
      1 fold, CO raises to $3.50, 1 fold, hero raises to $14, BB calls $14, CO calls $14

Flop: Q:club: J:club: 10:diamond: ($42, 3 players)
      hero bets $26, BB calls $26, CO folds

Turn: 8:spade: ($91.66, 2 players)
      hero goes all-in $54.54, BB goes all-in $52.34

River: 3:club: ($193.72, 2 players, 2 all-in)
  • 2 replies
    • Rahica
      Rahica
      Bronze
      Hi !

Preflop I think that everyone could agree that you played it perfectly ( you even adjusted the bet sizing specially for the fishes ).

On the flop I don't really agree with the sizing of your bet. The flop is not perfect, but it's a good flop against that fish when holding KK. Yet, you want to protect your hand by betting big ( if you don't expect him to fold AJ for $26 he won't fold it for $36 ). You've flopped OESD and you have a blocker for the FD and for the moment you have an overpair. Because he is not too picky in selecting his starting hands, you can assume that your hand is still good here, but I would bet minimum around 90% of the pot.

The sizing on the flop makes your shoving decision a lot easier on the turn when you see the worse card in the whole deck hitting the turn. By betting $36 on the flop, you only have to shove $44 which you do have to put in the middle. This amount doesn't give him enough pot odds to call even if he's holding a strong drawing hand like AcTc. If he is holding a 9, you are already beat and your only solution is to pray that you'll catch your SD on the river.

In other words, the hand is played the classic way, the only thing that I think isn't exactly correct is the sizing on the flop.

Take care and good luck at the tables !

P.S. Did he have 99, AcTc or AK?
    • Itsnevereasy
      Itsnevereasy
      Bronze
      I would have played it exactly the same way. You have to shove the turn even though you are beat quite often because there is still room for value betting, theres a lot of money in the pot and you have outs. Checking the turn is not an option imo