Finally Won my First Tournament.. Please read my story

• philiveyfan
      philiveyfan
      Bronze
      I would like to start to say I work hard for my money and make a good living, I do admit I have very bad BRM.. I will give example.. I went to a 5 5 cash game with 1000 to my name. I live off my checks. I lost that last week. Today I deposited 100 dollar on stars and I came second place in a 1 dollar PLO tournament. I won 1300 and very proud, not because I won 1300 but beside I actually played good for once. Now I got a 1400 BRM on Stars..

I need serious advice on how to build this. What limit SNGS should I be playing, I' been playing cash game for a long time with real bad BRM.. Please view me on the bottom link and yes I do win some big money at times. I want to know what the best way is to grind this 1400 on stars. I have played 500 dollars to 1000 sngs and it's way out of my league as far as controlling BRM. Any advice on how to grind this and I'm trying to avoid cash game

http://playerscope.com/sexyguy2727/pokerstars?pid=47156389&pnid=1
  • 8 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hey philiveyfan,

Congratulations on your second place finish!

Now is not the time to make rash decisions though and I'm glad to see you've asked for advice. Now SNGs are a different beast to cash games. But you'd need to tell us more. What type of SNGs would you be playing? Heads Up/6 max/9 max/MTSNG etc? Would they be normal speed/turbo/hyper turbo etc?

When you answer these we will go from there!

Best regards,
      Gary
    • Gentari
      Gentari
      Global
      Congrats on the 2nd place !!!
    • philiveyfan
      philiveyfan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle
      Hey philiveyfan,

Congratulations on your second place finish!

Now is not the time to make rash decisions though and I'm glad to see you've asked for advice. Now SNGs are a different beast to cash games. But you'd need to tell us more. What type of SNGs would you be playing? Heads Up/6 max/9 max/MTSNG etc? Would they be normal speed/turbo/hyper turbo etc?

When you answer these we will go from there!

hun do you got skype Id like talk poker.. i will stake u in a tourny too:p
      Best regards,
      Gary
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      ^ Just thought you'd like to know that "HollyMichelle" is a married man.

But on topic - Congrats on your awesome win :)

If you struggle playing games within BRM you should set-up some restrictions within the poker software itself. For PokerStars go into Requests > Responsible Gaming. In there you can setup restrictions to help you keep that bankroll under control, if you truly believe you want to control yourself, you should set this up!

And on the subject of Bankroll, you may wish to take a look at our SnG Artciles that covers this - Click Me!

Here's an extract from the article:

Don't spend more than 2% of your balance for a single Sit and Go (excluding rake).
      You get this 2% by dividing your account balance by 50. Though it might sound exaggerated, this buffer is really necessary.

But just because you have $1400 doesn't mean you should use the whole bankroll to play, as playing the larger games will be far more difficult to beat so I'd personally start with a smaller stake, cash out a little and buy myself a gift as a reminder that you can win :D
    • philiveyfan
      philiveyfan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MattDenness
      ^ Just thought you'd like to know that "HollyMichelle" is a married man.

But on topic - Congrats on your awesome win :)

If you struggle playing games within BRM you should set-up some restrictions within the poker software itself. For PokerStars go into Requests > Responsible Gaming. In there you can setup restrictions to help you keep that bankroll under control, if you truly believe you want to control yourself, you should set this up!

And on the subject of Bankroll, you may wish to take a look at our SnG Artciles that covers this - Click Me!

Here's an extract from the article:

Don't spend more than 2% of your balance for a single Sit and Go (excluding rake).
      You get this 2% by dividing your account balance by 50. Though it might sound exaggerated, this buffer is really necessary.

But just because you have $1400 doesn't mean you should use the whole bankroll to play, as playing the larger games will be far more difficult to beat so I'd personally start with a smaller stake, cash out a little and buy myself a gift as a reminder that you can win :D
      no nothing like that im asking help on limits i should be playing and want to stake someone good in a tourny
    • philiveyfan
      philiveyfan
      Bronze
      Matt do you got skype just want to ask some questions
    • SteffenBAOPP
      SteffenBAOPP
      Basic
      Congrats on your great finish!

Play the games you prefer to build your bankroll, just stick to one game type and one format and learn bankroll management. Without BRM nothing else that people will tell you or teach you is going to matter. Sorry to sound harsh but that is just the reality, without a bankroll you can't play, without playing you can't improve, without improving .. well without improving you probably won't hit your poker goals.

Good luck on your journey!
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Originally posted by philiveyfan
      Matt do you got skype just want to ask some questions
      I do, but we prefer to keep the questions on the boards so that other users can interact. The questions you ask could also benefit other users :)

Originally posted by philiveyfan
      no nothing like that im asking help on limits i should be playing and want to stake someone good in a tourny
      You can stake any player you wish within our Staking: Offers and Requests Forum, look for the tag "Application" and see if you'd like to stake them. No problem there.

As for help with which limits to play, you mean which stake SnG's you should be playing? If so, despite your big win I'd advise that you play around the $3.50 mark so that you can first beat these limits and then progress up as you learn new skills and beat the current level you're at.
      When you're playing poker your first priority shouldn't be to just win big. Just because you're winning doesn't mean your a consistent player, focus on improving your abilities on the table in the lower rooms so that your ready to smash the larger tables when you feel comfortable enough to move up.