[NL20-NL50] Bet/fold river?

• maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Silver
      Prima, $0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP: $21.37 (106.9 bb)
      CO: $21.95 (109.7 bb)
      BTN: $12.81 (64.1 bb)
      SB: $20.81 (104 bb)
      Hero (BB): $20 (100 bb)
      UTG: $19.69 (98.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q A
      UTG raises to $0.60, 4 folds, Hero calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.30) K 8 3 (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG bets $0.40, Hero calls $0.40

Turn: ($2.10) A (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG bets $0.80, Hero raises to $3.30, UTG calls $2.50

I see lot of fish bet small and call a raise and check the next street. I decide to go for value on the turn and a little protection.

River: ($8.70) 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $4.40, UTG raises to $15.39 and is all-in, Hero folds

Should I x/c river or b/f?

x/c might not work as many fish x behind. thought I'll go for some more value on the river and decided to b/f as I'm not sure if I can induce a bet by checking.
  • 3 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

I woudl consider bluff raising the Flop sometimes. Floating this bet seems ok to me too when he bets so small but note that your perceived range isn't too strong.

I don't mind checkraising the Turn when he bets so weakly. River is also a bet/fold for me, he does have some worse Aces and not necessarily a flush.

Thanks.
    • mlatasrb
      mlatasrb
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mbml
      River is also a bet/fold for me, he does have some worse Aces and not necessarily a flush.
      Why not river bet/call? If fish had set, I doubt he goes all in once the flush comes. So I think he represents here only flush, and how likely it is that he has it as played?
      He could have Kx on flop, and calls turn to hit 2 pairs, and then notices you dont bet large because of flush on river and decides to turn his Kx into bluff because Hero has obviously Ax. He could have hands like Ax weaker than Aq, some fish once they hit top pair its nuts for them. Our call doesn't need to work that often, and villians line doesnt have much sense, this is poker they bluff often.

Would you call river with set?
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      A fish rarely raises the River as a bluff. So even if you think he reps narrow, I think he is mostly weighted towards Value.

With trips (I'm assuming this is what you meant by a set, since sets now have full houses), I would bet way larger on the River to gain value from KX/AX. And if he raises me, it's really tough but I could probably find a fold if he's passive. No one bluff raises vs huge river sizes anyway, and we could easily have a boat or a flush ourselves.