[NL2-NL10] SH NL10 - KQ 3bet

• MoneyStef
      MoneyStef
      Bronze
      No special reads on villain, although he looks taggish on a very limited sample.

Is the 3bet pre-flop standard? With the A on the board, I decide to Cbet is this ok? Then give up on the turn?

Thanks in advance!

PartyGaming - $0.10 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 135.7 BB
      SB: 100 BB
      Hero (BB): 100 BB
      UTG: 448.2 BB
      MP: 83.9 BB
      CO: 101.4 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has K:spade: Q:club:

fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to 3 BB, fold, Hero raises to 10 BB, BTN calls 7 BB

Flop: (20.5 BB, 2 players) 8:club: A:heart: 9:diamond:
      Hero bets 12 BB, BTN calls 12 BB

Turn: (44.5 BB, 2 players) 6:diamond:
      Hero checks, BTN bets 26 BB, fold

BTN wins 42.3 BB
  • 7 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi

Are we 3betting as a bluff or value?

If you are trying I'd rather call with our strong hand.

As played ck folding turn without much info and equity is fine.
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      This 3 bet is not standard because judge will say that you isolate yourself vs stronger range :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin:

I think it is better to just flat and play postflop. So you can achieve that you have in play hands like small pp Q8s+, Q9o+ Kx hands and so on.

As played i agree with your c bet here because you represent Ax hand here and he can fold some pps and maybe some other hand.

But i don't know about bet sizing. To me this doesn't look like value bet and somehow we invite villain to float.

EDIT: of course Bogdan was again faster than me:)
    • MoneyStef
      MoneyStef
      Bronze
      I would use exactly the same sizing Cbet with AK I guess, do you really Cbet more than 60% of the pot in a 3bet if you bet for value?

As you can see from the hand, we would be all in on the river without a problem if we just play bet-bet-bet with 60% of the pot.

Wat sizing would you use?

Btw, thanks for the feedback, I agree that a flatcall pre-flop would be better. We are basically 3betting as a bluff.

If we flat call preflop, do we just check-fold on the low boards? What boards are we looking to hit, just K or Q high boards?
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Probably i do bet more then 60% but i guess it is wrong :f_cool: . You made me think. Some times i just bet 2/3 pot and then realize on turn that i have to bet just like half of pot and then again just a little bit less then half on river.

BogdanPS can you please help us (me) with bet sizing :f_o: :f_o:
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by MoneyStef
      I would use exactly the same sizing Cbet with AK I guess, do you really Cbet more than 60% of the pot in a 3bet if you bet for value?

As you can see from the hand, we would be all in on the river without a problem if we just play bet-bet-bet with 60% of the pot.

Wat sizing would you use?

Btw, thanks for the feedback, I agree that a flatcall pre-flop would be better. We are basically 3betting as a bluff.

If we flat call preflop, do we just check-fold on the low boards? What boards are we looking to hit, just K or Q high boards?
      50-60% is perfectly fine 100 BB deep in 3-bet pot. Even on more coordinated boards.

But this one is as dry as they get so why would we wanna bet that much more?

For value it doesn't change anything but when we bluff it does (we lose less when we can't continue). It also doesn't change a lot in villains range. If he has pairs/Ax he will call 2/3 just as easy as 1/2.

If we do call preflop we shouldn't just look for K or Q flops. We can also looks for OESDs or even gutshots we can ck/raise on the flop. Sometimes villain will also give up (check back) on low flops and we can take the pot away.
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Thanks to Bogdan and also to you MoneyStef.

This is why i like those forums since we can learn together so much.
    • MoneyStef
      MoneyStef
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      If we do call preflop we shouldn't just look for K or Q flops. We can also looks for OESDs or even gutshots we can ck/raise on the flop. Sometimes villain will also give up (check back) on low flops and we can take the pot away.
      Thanks for the detailed advice, it is much appreciated. I guess I mostly 3bet preflop to avoid the difficult postflop OOP play, but I will use your line for the future and see how it works out.