[NL20-NL50] nl20 sh KQ bluff

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      $0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $20.50 (102.5 bb)
      Hero (SB): $52.54 (262.7 bb)
      BB: $19.50 (97.5 bb)
      MP: $81.58 (407.9 bb)
      CO: $20.30 (101.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K Q
      MP folds, CO raises to $0.60, BTN raises to $2.10, Hero raises to $4.50, 2 folds, BTN calls $2.40

i was timing out and rushed with my sizing. accidentally made it a bit small

Flop: ($9.80) 3 5 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $4.90, BTN folds

Results:
      $9.80 pot ($0.49 rake)
      Final Board: 3 5 5
      BTN mucked and lost (-$4.50 net)
      Hero mucked K Q and won $9.31 ($4.81 net)

BU is 32/32 and has a 3bet 21.9% in 110 hands. not a ton of hands, but he has been 3betting much more IP. calling is obviously out of the question so i could either fold or cold 4bet. i think if i cold 4bet i have a ton of FE plus i block AK, KK and QQ from his range so i decided to turn my hand into a bluff. is this okay or is it spew?

how would you play the flop? should we make a small ish cbet, or should we just give up after we get called since he probably has some sort of hand that wont fold..

thanks
  • 3 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

PF: I think the size is fine. Especially if your opponent has a high fold to 4bet %, of 55% or 60%+. If he is the type to flat 4bets a lot (40% or less), then maybe it may be sub-optimal.

Flop: Just bet 40% pot. I don't think you should be betting so large. You are just wasting the additional 1$ if you do get called. And this additional 1$ doesn't really add too much additional fold equity.

If he can have a wide range here, then you should definitely cbet and just try to take the pot down. If you are so certain that he has AQ or pocket pairs, and that he may even not fold AQ, then c/f would be a better option.

I believe you are not too sure about his 4bet calling tendencies? Or maybe you know more than I do here. I'm assuming you are cold 4betting him simply because his range is pretty wide here?

Thanks.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mbml
      Hi.

PF: I think the size is fine. Especially if your opponent has a high fold to 4bet %, of 55% or 60%+. If he is the type to flat 4bets a lot (40% or less), then maybe it may be sub-optimal.

Flop: Just bet 40% pot. I don't think you should be betting so large. You are just wasting the additional 1$ if you do get called. And this additional 1$ doesn't really add too much additional fold equity.

Thanks.
      thanks. i realised just after i made the bet that the sizing was way too big for a 4bet pot . do you think the logic here is that i can't 4bet preflop as a bluff and check/fold such a low board since there is some part of his range (AK and maybe AQ?) that misses?

ty
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      I don't think you need to read too much into it.

1) You look super strong after cold 4betting. I think people hardly do it as a bluff at NL20.
      2) He folds AQ/AK a lot of the time because of point 1
      3) He could potentially have a range that comprises more non AQ/pocket pair hands.

All these factors make it a clear bet IMO.