Hero ($2.42)
      UTG+1 ($2.32)
      UTG+2 ($0.93)
      MP1 ($2.85)
      MP2 ($2.26)
      CO ($2.30)
      BTN ($1.91)

Dealt to Hero A:club: K:spade:

Hero raises to $0.08, fold, fold, fold, MP2 raises to $0.14, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.40, MP2 calls $0.26

FLOP ($0.83) 9:club: 5:spade: 7:spade:

Hero checks, MP2 checks

TURN ($0.83) 9:club: 5:spade: 7:spade: 3:diamond:

Hero checks, MP2 checks

RIVER ($0.83) 9:club: 5:spade: 7:spade: 3:diamond: 3:spade:

Hero checks, MP2 checks

MP2 shows Q:spade: Q:diamond: (Pre 56%, Flop 72.5%, Turn 86.4%)Hero shows A:club: K:spade: (Pre 44%, Flop 27.5%, Turn 13.6%)MP2 wins $0.79

Villain stats are 27/24 AF 1 3bet stat 26.7 on 15 occasions - 50 hands on him, was less known on this hand

I 4bet AKo preflop and am likely to call a shove vs looser guy with higher 3bet stat, I flop air and I dont think I can get any fold from bigger pocket pairs and if he has AK we split...

something I missplayed or just bad luck running into his top range?
  • 5 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey HrabriLavek,

Your 4bet preflop here is questionable, a better option might be to flat and see a flop. I've noticed this pattern in a number of your hands and recommend you think about how the various positions on the table affect the strength of 3bet/4bet ranges.

In this spot when you open UTG on a 9handed table and get 3bet, usually the range of the 3better will be very strong. By 4betting you put yourself in a position where the range that continues may even have AK in bad shape.

In some cases you can even fold AKo to a 3bet depending on positions involved. I would not in this case because 3bet is very small and villain can potentially be a fish. I wouldn't assume that necessarily means his range is always weak though.

Postflop is fine. You have the right idea of checking the hand down. Hand is too strong to bluff, and too weak to value bet.
    • HrabriLavek
      HrabriLavek
      Bronze
      wouldnt I just be throwing money away with calling 3bet oop with a drawing hand? Most of the time I will just have to fold to a cbet because I wont hit the flop and will just have to guess

against this opponent that was more loose and agressive it seemed weak to me to fold AK here and by calling Ill just be in tricky situation oop

thanks
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by HrabriLavek
      wouldnt I just be throwing money away with calling 3bet oop with a drawing hand? Most of the time I will just have to fold to a cbet because I wont hit the flop and will just have to guess
      If you have the odds to call with a draw it doesn't matter if you miss that draw and have to fold most of the time. You are not throwing away money because you had odds to call.

However in this spot we don't strictly just have a draw. Maybe our opponent 3bets a hand like AJo in this spot. We don't necessarily have to fold on every flop without a K or an A.

The thing that makes 4betting questionable is our opponent's range that continues to a 4bet. He might even 3bet Q7o here, but if he only calls a 4bet with QQ+/AK we are in trouble.
    • HrabriLavek
      HrabriLavek
      Bronze
      so basically the whole idea if I get 3bet by loose 3bettor oop with a drawing hand like AK (could I get JJ,QQ here too?), is to call and see the flop to keep his weaker 3bet range in and try to get value...right?
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by HrabriLavek
      so basically the whole idea if I get 3bet by loose 3bettor oop with a drawing hand like AK (could I get JJ,QQ here too?), is to call and see the flop to keep his weaker 3bet range in and try to get value...right?
      That's basically the idea yes. I wouldn't think of AK as purely a drawing hand though, as it will still be ahead a lot on dry flops.

Opponent may 3bet wide, but is he calling 4bets wide? Not necessarily. If he was, then you could 4bet for sure.

Also just because opponent has 3bet 4 times in 15 hands does not mean he is necessarily 3betting light in early positions. There is a big difference between 3betting SBvsBU and 3betting MP2vsUTG, so unless you've seen him 3betting a lot in early positions you should still assume he is pretty tight even if he has a history of 3betting.