[NL2-NL10] FF NL10-6Max 33 in SB

• BigAl123456
      BigAl123456
      Bronze
      Party, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (SB): $11.17 (111.7 bb)
      MP: $10.96 (109.6 bb)
      BTN: $13.92 (139.2 bb)
      UTG: $21.89 (218.9 bb)
      BB: $16.73 (167.3 bb)
      CO: $9.70 (97 bb)-VPIP 20%-PFR 4%-PFAF 2.5-FT3Bet 0%(3)-FlCB 79%(14)-TCBet 78%(9)-WTSD 22%-W$SD 45%(51)-Hands 1313

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3 3
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.40, BTN folds, Hero calls $0.35, BB folds

Flop: ($0.90) 2 A 9 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.86, Hero calls $0.86

Turn: ($2.62) 3 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $2.49, Hero raises to $7, CO raises to $8.44 and is all-in, Hero calls $1.44

River: ($19.50) Q (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      $19.50 pot ($0.97 rake)
      Final Board: 2 A 9 3 Q
      Hero showed 3 3 and won $18.53 ($8.83 net)
      CO mucked Q A and lost (-$9.70 net)

CO is Tight Pasive over 1k hand, on the Flop I decided to Call the CBet and not just purely play for Set Value Vs a CO, in thise case either I didnt look at his TCBet stat or was smaller at the time because Vs this player it was deffs very bad, however sometime we get lucky on the Turn.

As for the actual spot itself calling Vs LP raisers in FR and 6Max where we cant really play just for set value, I was reading a FR artical on 2+2 about 3Betting and it suggested 3Betting with our small PPs and calling with our medium PPs because 8s are a lot eaiser to play Postflop then 3s there are more board that are less scary.

What do you think about this, is this the sort of play we can do IP and OOP depending on our opponents if ther very Tight or Lose and ther willingness to go broke light or there ability to Fold to 3Bet and CBets?
  • 8 replies
    • CPallo
      CPallo
      Bronze
      I don't like this play post-flop. He raises so tight pre-flop and wouldn't probably cbet Ahigh board without a hit. And when he nearly pots it, I can't see us having a better hand on any other turn than 3x. So I think we could give up on flop. I'd call here only, if the board was like J high.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey BigAl123456,

Regarding you questions about preflop: This would normally be a perfectly legitimate spot to 3bet bluff. The reason I wouldn't here is because villain has not been folding to 3bets.

Villain appears to have an extremely tight opening range (4%). This more than likely mean this it is far better to flat call here than 3bet or fold.

Theoretically you can float OOP with any 2 on this flop against a lot of opponents. This is not one of them. His tight opening range nearly always has 33 in bad shape, check/fold flop.

Turn raise is really dependent on villain and how likely he is to fold AK/AQ when raised. Check/calling is a legitimate option on turn, perhaps even the best one.
    • CPallo
      CPallo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by w34z3l

Turn raise is really dependent on villain and how likely he is to fold AK/AQ when raised. Check/calling is a legitimate option on turn, perhaps even the best one.
      Got to ask this: why not to raise turn? Guy has bet TWICE pot on that dry board. He might be a nitty one (WTSD only 22), so second 9 or even heart might scare him off and he might go on ch/call line. And it seems like he is very eager to get it in, so I'd go for turn raise.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by CPallo
      Got to ask this: why not to raise turn? Guy has bet TWICE pot on that dry board. He might be a nitty one (WTSD only 22), so second 9 or even heart might scare him off and he might go on ch/call line. And it seems like he is very eager to get it in, so I'd go for turn raise.
      Maybe you misunderstood my post. Raising the turn is fine. But flatting is also a legitimate option.

Simple baluga theorem, some players may fold AQ-AK on turn. That's the only reason why you might not raise turn. If he only calls with better hands when you raise, raising is a negative free-roll, and would be a bad play. It doesn't matter if a river card comes scary if you weren't going to make any money on the turn anyway.

The board is not exactly scary though. What 9's are hero calling two pot-sized bets with? What flush draws does hero/villain reach turn with? The board is actually pretty dry here. The presence of a flush-draw straight/draw does not automatically make a board drawy. It depends how ranges hit that board. If the board was drawier I'd raise for sure.

Villain's range is actually pretty narrow. He has AQ/AK/AA and pretty much nothing else given his PFR. (Betting so huge on flop/turn here with AQ is actually pretty idiotic). The other thing flatting achieves is allow him to sometimes donk off his stack with something random. (I've seen villain's play KK/QQ like this). Assuming villain is capable of bluffing, you shut down all his bluffs with a turn raise.

There will be less than a pot-sized bet on river so you should still be able to get the money in.
    • CPallo
      CPallo
      Bronze
      I agree that the board is not draw heavy, but does our villain think like that? Low wtsd and having a way too tight opening range+pot size bets tells me personally that he has AK/AK/AA here, and he will happily stack-off. But if he is a nit, he might not have hero on some "range" here, but he may think that heart or 9 improves our hand (though it doesn't).

But I agree in a way with that turn, it's usually nuts on these levels when someone raises. So maybe raise flop and get it in on turn? I don't say our hero played bad nor that your alternative would be wrong. I just tried to dive into a nitty players mind here :)
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      So maybe raise flop and get it in on turn?
      Hero doesn't hit until the turn :D

You have to take what I said as a hypothetical. If you think villain is always stacking with AQ/AK and never bluffing then there is no reason you wouldn't jam turn.
    • CPallo
      CPallo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by w34z3l
      So maybe raise flop and get it in on turn?
      Hero doesn't hit until the turn :D

You have to take what I said as a hypothetical. If you think villain is always stacking with AQ/AK and never bluffing then there is no reason you wouldn't jam turn.
      My bad, forgot to drink my coffees :D

Yes, this hand is quite interesting. It would help if hero had notes on villains tendencies on cbet sizings and when he has left off his cbet.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Yes, this hand is quite interesting. It would help if hero had notes on villains tendencies on cbet sizings and when he has left off his cbet.
      For sure. Villain's bet sizing really makes no sense on this flop texture with pretty much any hand. What can hero even have? Villain blocks one of the Aces too.