Best strategy when BR down to $12?

• overson
      overson
      Bronze
      I played alot of tournaments and SnGs because I had been winning alot, placing itm at least half the time. I switched for one day and was so sure I would win, that I played so many my BR is now $12 and I lost every single one. I can't explain why I lost or why I lost track of my BR, but now I have a problem.

What strategy has the least variance and most profit at super micro limits? I was thinking of doing heads-up because I can usually beat those(except for the day I lost my money) but SSS is very solid also, and fixed seems good if I bluff less.

Also I'm curious who uses talking to get money or has had it used against them.
      I was about to beat a guy in heads-up and he said it was his last $2.20 and could I give it to him. So I called his bets and he won the game. But he may have been lying and knew I was going to beat him. I just felt bad for taking his last money even if it was 2% chance he was telling the truth. Anyone have experience with this? Should I consider it not wrong to take anyones money in any situation?
  • 10 replies
    • redskwerl
      redskwerl
      Black
      1) I'd try full ring limit, if you know anything about limit holdem you can crush the absolute micros with a ridiculous winrate, resulting in a relatively low variance.

2) If he is sitting down with his whole bankroll, you can be okay with taking his money.. he'd lose it all anyway in no time, to somebody else.
    • ForTexi
      ForTexi
      Bronze
      Poker is about taking other peoples money... So why the hell would you give money away??
    • meredori
      meredori
      Bronze
      Micro FL:
      Less variance
      Less margin for loss
      Easy to play
      Helps your postflop NL and SnG early stages.

Also to ask, "I switched for one day"

What are you talking about switching? If you mean you went up a limit. Do NOT avoid BRM. It is possibly the MOST Important part of all this poker strategy. It allows for downswings. Which is the UNAVOIDABLE times where "luck" is against you. In other words it is the times where you lose to bad beats often.
    • overson
      overson
      Bronze
      What I meant by switching for a day was I usually play sss, but I was trying to get into SnG and switched to sng for that day.
    • overson
      overson
      Bronze
      Since there are fish at every table in micro FL, would there be less variance at a tight table, since if I call down with tp against 6 opponents I will win less often?
    • derkraemer
      derkraemer
      Bronze
      Downswings happen !
      That's why bankroll management is soooo important.
      You will have loosing streaks, no matter how well You play.
      That's because there IS LUCK INVOLVED.

You say You can't explain why You lost. How that?
      Did You get many Bad Beats or were You playing badly
      because You were so sure You would win?

I would consider switching to PL Omaha HI/LO.
      Works well for me, because YOu don`t have the
      extremly high losses that NL Holdem can give You,
      but has also potential for very high winnings, due to
      the fishy play of many people at the micro limits.
      SOmetimes people hand over their complete stack because
      they think that with 4 suited cards on hand and on of the
      same suit on the board they have a flush. So You get
      to play against people who even havn`t understood the
      basic rules of Omaha.

If You feel bad about taking someones money at the table
      then poker is not for You. HEY, it's their obligation to play
      responsible. It's YOur Obligation to take all their CHips.
    • overson
      overson
      Bronze
      Thanks derkraemer, I hadn't considered pl omaha but it sounds good. I accidentally went heads-up in omaha once and won because my opponent told me the rules while we were playing lol.

What caused me to lose now that I think about it, could have been that I wouldn't go all-in with tp and relatively quickly got <13bb. Then I lost one out of a few coin-flips and I was out.

I don't mind taking people's money and next time I won't give it to them.
      What I'm interested in is what experience you've had with talking money out of players like this guy did to me.
    • Backcushion
      Backcushion
      Bronze
      Originally posted by derkraemer

wat
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Backcushion
      Originally posted by derkraemer

wat
      LMAO, PLO has high variance. dont listen to this guy!!!!!!!!!!
    • overson
      overson
      Bronze
      i bought the $100 to play through bonus since my account went down to $2. Now I'm considering switching from sss to sng, but will I clear the bonus as fast?
      I would also like to know if my previous points count towards my bonus.

I just won a $1 45-man tourney for the second time total, but it might just have been lucky, although I was always ahead of my opponents ranges. Can I count on being #1 often enough to just do 45-man sngs?