This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] Confused by odd line from villain

• Greedyfly
      Greedyfly
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      CO:
      $5.41
      BU (Hero):
      $12.53
      SB:
      $13.03
      BB:
      $10.00
      UTG1:
      $10.95
      UTG2:
      $23.64
      MP1:
      $8.53
      MP2:
      $20.92
      MP3:
      $10.00

Preflop: Hero is BU with A, J.
      6 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, SB calls $0.25, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.7) 6, 3, Q (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.30, SB calls $0.30.

Turn: ($1.3) J (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($1.3) 8 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.70, Hero calls $0.70.

Final Pot: $2.7.

Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of jacks(Ac Jh).
      SB shows three of a kind, eights(8s 8h).

SB wins with three of a kind, eights(8s 8h).

Villain is a 14/3 over 148 hands. Folding to steal 85% of the time. Essentially I feel the check on turn is fair enough given his stats but when he turns up on the river with what he did I am confused about the line over all from both him and myself.
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Greedyfly,

Preflop: looks fine

Postflop: Why are we betting less than half pot on the flop? Given that amount we shouldn't be surprised that he shows up with pairs on the river.

Since you have a nitty guy calling your cbet and betting the river, what hand were you hoping he shows up with? What do we beat?
    • Greedyfly
      Greedyfly
      Bronze
      Hi Bogdan,

I am pretty sure the flop is a misclick (mouse wheel scrolled back) because I would have pressed the half pot button anyway. Would expect this to be 40c most of the time.

As for river Fair enough question. I guess I beat only KJ here + midpairs. Likely?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Greedyfly
      Hi Bogdan,

I am pretty sure the flop is a misclick (mouse wheel scrolled back) because I would have pressed the half pot button anyway. Would expect this to be 40c most of the time.

As for river Fair enough question. I guess I beat only KJ here + midpairs. Likely?
      Yeh, so the flop is the key here. Because of the low bet size he can have a wider range, but usually just pairs and Qx.

I don't think it's realistic to expect KJ in his range and let alone for him to bet the river with. Same goes for mid pairs.