[NL2-NL10] NL5 Speed AKo

• cheekopeh
      cheekopeh
      Bronze
      IPoker, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $5.14 (102.8 bb)
      UTG: $10.65 (213 bb)
      MP: $5.89 (117.8 bb)
      CO: $5 (100 bb)
      BTN: $6.31 (126.2 bb)
      Hero (SB): $5.70 (114 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K A
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.15, Hero raises to $0.50, BB folds, BTN calls $0.35

Flop: ($1.05) 5 K 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.65, BTN calls $0.65

Turn: ($2.35) 8 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $1.40, Hero calls $1.40

River: ($5.15) 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

Results:
      $5.15 pot ($0.25 rake)
      Final Board: 5 K 4 8 2
      BTN showed J K and lost (-$2.55 net)
      Hero mucked K A and won $4.90 ($2.35 net)

BU stats - VPIP: 21, PFR: 16, 3B: 6, AF: 4.0, Hands: 141.
      BU steal is 58.3% and Ft3b is 33.3% albeit a small sample size.

PF: I 3-bet purely for value since his Ft3b is so low and he can call me w worse.

Flop: I think his calling range is wide here. I don't have any specific read, but I think he floats here a lot. He is a TAG who steals wide and doesn't fold to 3-bet a lot and plays IP. This flop is kinda dry and he will know it's a good one for me to c-bet.

So I chose to c-bet for value & protection in case he had some FDs and 76 straight draw which called my 3-bet IP.

Turn: Based on the above reasons, I decided to play weak according to how he thinks and let him bluff the Turn. I think his range is too wide that for me to check is more +ev than for him to call a double barrel.

Kx is pretty unlikely cause I have one myself, JJ/QQ will find it hard to call 2 streets as well. I think only a FD and a hand which has me crushed like a set or 76 will continue. Think his range contains more air/floats than hands which has me beat. Thus I played check/call.

River: Not such a nice card as FD completes and also A3. If he shoves, I was leaning towards a fold because a TAG probably wouldn't bomb the river with air.

Not too sure if I played it okay. Seldom encounter situations like this, and not sure if making assumptions like him floating, then betting the turn is alright? He turned up w KJo in the end which I never expected a TAG to call a 3-bet w! So not sure if "assuming" is the right way to go! Maybe he was betting as a bluff I don't know.
  • 3 replies
    • CPallo
      CPallo
      Bronze
      You lose tons of value if you don't bet that turn. It's a 3-bet pot, so opponent doesn't have many stronger hands on his range on such a board. Make him pay for Kx and some random FD's (Like AJc)

So basically, bet/bet/bet. On river I'd go for bet/fold, though, if vill. would be loose. I wouldn't be afraid of A3 here (unless A3c), he wouldn't call that 3bet w it IMO.
    • cheekopeh
      cheekopeh
      Bronze
      Hey CPallo.

Vs almost anybody else other than a nit which I will definitely not 3-bet, I will go for bet/bet/bet.

But this was a very special situation I faced. Usually vs regulars at this limit, they just steal wide and either fold to a 3-bet or 4-bet. But in this case, villain elected to flat my 3-bet IP which went along w his stats. Although I think sample size is small but his play is along that line.

Maybe I was over-thinking, and not accounting for his actual KJo hand at the end, I think he floats a lot w air and bluff the Turn which will not call my double barrel which in turn will lead me to losing value.

But I'm not sure as well so let's see what the coach says. I'm thinking he will be leaning towards your line of thought as well! Lol. But nevertheless, will be a good learning hand for me.

Thanks.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Cheekopeh,

Preflop: looks fine. We can add a BB since we are deeper.

Postflop: I think that assuming he floats a lot is a mistake at these limits. Most of his floating (calling) range is actually made up of pairs and draws. And maybe some Ax hands but doubtful. Can you really see him float 9dTd?

So simply bet the turn and go for max value versus 99-JJ, Kx, and draws.