Possible switch to MTT?

• metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Ok, so I am originally a cash game player but recently have been doing quite well in some MTTs.

However I have only played about 70 tournaments here and there. Obviously this is a very small sample and little to no conclusions can be drawn from it. I have definitely been running quite hot these tourneys.

At the moment my ROI is 279%, which of course cannot be sustained, but would this be a possible sign that I'm at least doing something right? I've been playing $1 Rush MTTs recently with 4 final tables (2nd 5th 7th 9th) of around 16 tourneys with average 200 players in the past 3 days. Is it possible I just donked all of these? Maybe I did, but its hard to not be tempted to make the switch when these results are quite encouraging, and I don't see myself bad beating people that often although the way I play is to try to get a big stack and put opponents under a lot of pressure, which usually results in either a quick bustout or a big stack. Also I thought because of Rush Week the fields are softer than usual so next week it will get harder.

On the other hand I run like crap with Cash Game recently, losing constantly with AA, full houses etc to the point where its not even fun anymore.

When this stuff isn't happening I probably enjoy cash game more, but not by much, tournaments are also very fun. I feel like my natural ability in tournaments is better than in cash games, like I have a better mental understanding of what is the better play in MTT than Cash. And also opponents are generally weaker.

It is hard to know which to choose, (maybe even both?) anyone got any advice?
  • 2 replies
    • Mikus8
      Mikus8
      Bronze
      Originally posted by metza
      At the moment my ROI is 279%, which of course cannot be sustained
      wrong

play 300-500 these tourneys and then repeat this thread
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      At the moment you can't even say for sure that you are winning player ;)
      You might do something right since you had some decent results - at the same time it might just be (and most likely is) variance.

As long as you don't have any sample size it doesn't make much sense to consider switching to mtt's completely. Play 1k MTT's and base your decision on the outcome. 1k MTT's is still very few, but at least it is a number you can work with.

Be aware that playing mtt's is very time consuming, mentally exhausting and a pain in the ass from time to time. If you feel comfortable with downswings for several weeks or months and if you are very tilt resistent you can give it a try.

From what I can see I would suggest to stuck with cashgame and play a few tournaments from time to time. Just try to get some sample and if your results are constantly good you can still move to mtt's completely.

Regards,
      Asaban