[NL20-NL50] 50shz A2s CO

• AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $80.26 (160.5 bb)
      SB: $123.57 (247.1 bb)
      BB: $53.68 (107.4 bb)
      UTG: $76.67 (153.3 bb)
      MP: $106.46 (212.9 bb)
      Hero (CO): $63.24 (126.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 2 A
      2 folds, Hero raises to $1.50, BTN calls $1.50, 2 folds

Flop: ($3.75) 5 4 A (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.66, BTN calls $2.66

Turn: ($9.07) Q (2 players)
      Hero bets $5.74, BTN calls $5.74

River: ($20.55) 4 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $14.50, Hero folds

Results:
      $20.55 pot ($1.13 rake)
      Final Board: 5 4 A Q 4
      BTN mucked and won $19.42 ($9.52 net)
      Hero mucked 2 A and lost (-$9.90 net)

VPIP: 15, PFR: 11, 3B: 5, AF: 1,7, Hands: 1161

Thoughts?
  • 3 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey AtrociousNightmare,

I actually think this is a really solid spot to check the flop. Villain is pretty tight, it's not like you are going to get multiple streets from worse. On the other hand villain may bluff. It's nice to have some top-pairs in your range for checking this flop. (If you always have PP's you can get run over here).

As played, I would like a barrel on the turn if you didn't have top pair. Again I think your hand is probably strong enough to bluffcatch vs any floats with additional equity in the form of any 2 or diamond river.

As played I don't see any bluffs in villains river range and his value range has you beat. Check/fold is fine.
    • AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Originally posted by w34z3l
      Hey AtrociousNightmare,

I actually think this is a really solid spot to check the flop. Villain is pretty tight, it's not like you are going to get multiple streets from worse. On the other hand villain may bluff. It's nice to have some top-pairs in your range for checking this flop. (If you always have PP's you can get run over here).

As played, I would like a barrel on the turn if you didn't have top pair. Again I think your hand is probably strong enough to bluffcatch vs any floats with additional equity in the form of any 2 or diamond river.

As played I don't see any bluffs in villains river range and his value range has you beat. Check/fold is fine.
      What if my play usually always bets this board in this spot?
      Should I CBet and check to induce to balance when I don't have anything and discourage their floats vs me?
      They don't fold flops so much, and also the fact he's on the BU makes connectors and gappers more probable, and 45 is good for those, not for me.

If instead you still suggest the check anyway on flop, I should start betting on turn right?
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by AtrociousNightmare
      What if my play usually always bets this board in this spot?
      Should I CBet and check to induce to balance when I don't have anything and discourage their floats vs me?
      If you wanted to fire 100% of A54r flops you could cbet and then check to induce on turn so you aren't always check-folding.

I see benefits to having a flop check-range here. I think hands like mid-high PP's play better by checking vs a lot of opponents. I add other hands to my range so I'm not face up in this spot. People will fire pretty wide here imo - so it's great to have one or two stronger hands in your range.

Especially with a hand like A2, I think the EV of bluffcatching is going to be higher than value-betting. It's going to be difficult to get 2 or more streets of value anyway. Whereas vs the right opponent you can call 2 sometimes 3 streets. It all depends on the board texture and villain.

If you want to fire 100% of flops though, bet-flop, check/call turn is still a decent line. I think getting two streets with the lowest possible Ace is a little ambitious in this spot. Aside from the occasional 67 I don't see this as a very drawy board.

Originally posted by AtrociousNightmare
      If instead you still suggest the check anyway on flop, I should start betting on turn right?
      No, you don't have to check. The difference between me and you is that I have a flop checking-range in this spot. If your opponent did not bet IP then you can bet the turn for sure. I feel that villain will fire this flop wide though expecting you to give up.