[NL20-NL50] 50shz A3s BU

• AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BTN): $51.58 (103.2 bb)
      SB: $53.12 (106.2 bb)
      BB: $43.49 (87 bb)
      UTG: $50 (100 bb)
      MP: $47 (94 bb)
      CO: $57.14 (114.3 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 3 A
      2 folds, CO raises to $1.20, Hero raises to $4.35, SB folds, BB calls $3.85, CO folds

Flop: ($10.15) 5 3 2 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $6.43, BB calls $6.43

Turn: ($23.01) K (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

River: ($23.01) 3 (2 players)
      BB bets $14.50, Hero raises to $40.80 and is all-in, BB calls $18.21 and is all-in

Results:
      $88.43 pot ($3 rake)
      Final Board: 5 3 2 K 3
      Hero showed 3 A and won $0.00 (-$43.49 net)
      BB showed 2 2 and won $85.43 ($41.94 net)

VPIP: 50, PFR: 8, 3B: 0, AF: 2,7, Hands: 12

I 3Bet PF because CO is a LAG with CO steal 60 and 59 fold to 3Bet.
      BB cold calls, despite tending to give him mostly PPs, his range is simply HUGE (and has an even higher CC range 75) and could be more than that.

Flop bet in case of villain's broadways and because of my BDF / gutshot.
      Not really sure where I stand on turn and not really convinced of the idea he could be folding now, I don't barrel.

Lucky river (not really, possibly the worst I could get) that made me overplay.

Did I actually overplay or was I just unlucky that he had the set?
      In any case, I should have at least called his bet right?
  • 5 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey AtrociousNightmare

Preflop play is fine, good spot for a bluff.

On the flop I think the best option is to check back. Villain is not folding a better hand. Most of the hands you will fold out you beat anyway. Betting is really just a protection bet, it's unlikely you will get called by worse. You also may have some good implieds by checking back if villain holds a hand like AK/AQ in the instance where you both spike an ace.

Given your flop play it might be better to just fire a second barrel with your 9 out draw maybe villain will let go of a bunch of his PPs if you think his calling range is pretty wide.

I think your river shove is fine.
    • AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Originally posted by w34z3l
      Hey AtrociousNightmare

On the flop I think the best option is to check back. Villain is not folding a better hand. Most of the hands you will fold out you beat anyway. Betting is really just a protection bet, it's unlikely you will get called by worse. You also may have some good implieds by checking back if villain holds a hand like AK/AQ in the instance where you both spike an ace.

Given your flop play it might be better to just fire a second barrel with your 9 out draw maybe villain will let go of a bunch of his PPs if you think his calling range is pretty wide.

Are there not enough draws to protect and extract value from in his range here? [flop]

If I check back, what do I do on turn if he checks? How do I proceed?
      If he bets, I call at least 1 street right?
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by AtrociousNightmare

Are there not enough draws to protect and extract value from in his range here? [flop]
      I don't think so. What draws can he have that he cold-calls 3bet with? Even if he has a flush-draw he has 2 overs to your pair of 3s and you are flipping.

Most of his range looks like either pocket-pairs that have you beat or broadways that are very often folding. I think you hardly ever extract value. The only benefit is that you take the pot down vs KQo type hands. You will fold out Ax also, but these have a lot less equity vs you and you have good implieds should you both spike an Ace.

If I check back, what do I do on turn if he checks? How do I proceed?
      If he bets, I call at least 1 street right?
      It depends on villain. It's definitely an option, there is a chance your hand is good and even if it isn't, you have a 9-out draw.
    • AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Originally posted by w34z3l
      Hey AtrociousNightmare

Sorry I randomly came back to this hand and I have a question:
      why do you think my shove is fine?
      Who pays me there?

Straight and sets got me beat, and there's not much else who would pay me. Except maybe a very rare AA?
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach

Sorry I randomly came back to this hand and I have a question:
      why do you think my shove is fine?
      Who pays me there?

Straight and sets got me beat, and there's not much else who would pay me. Except maybe a very rare AA?
      Yeah, occasionally AA, and Kx floats.

Looking at the situation more closely I agree with you. At the very least you should probably raise smaller and hope he can sometimes bluff-catch with JJ/QQ.

Flat calling is definitely fine, maybe even the best option.