[NL2-NL10] NL10 ATs light 4bet

• Absolutism
      Absolutism
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10, $0.02 ante No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $25.12 (251.2 bb)
      Hero (MP): $14.02 (140.2 bb)
      CO: $10.44 (104.4 bb)
      BTN: $31.10 (311 bb)
      SB: $25.11 (251.1 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A T
      Hero raises to $0.40, CO folds, BTN raises to $1.20, 2 folds, Hero raises to $2.95, BTN calls $1.75

Flop: ($6.15) K 7 Q (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($6.15) 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.90, BTN calls $3.90

River: ($13.95) A (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $24.23 and is all-in, Hero folds

Results:
      $13.95 pot ($0.63 rake)
      Final Board: K 7 Q 2 A
      Hero mucked A T and lost (-$6.87 net)
      BTN mucked and won $13.32 ($6.45 net)

34/22/12 AF:2.1, AFQ: 55/32/25, WTSD 45 (121 hand)

He was a very aggressive regular (fish? his pfr is kinda low compared to his vpip), he 3bet me a bunch, so i decided to 4bet him.

I know that my sizeing is kinda small, im not used to playing deep too much:)

But wtf is this coldall? I see this a lot recently, but what range can they call a 4bet with? Im totally lost sometimes, what to do, which boards to cbet etc.

Apart from that, what to do here? I was planning on check/shoveing the flop, so i can maybe fold out TT-JJ, make money from random floats etc. But i wasnt sure what to do.
  • 5 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Absolutism,

The answers to your questions really revolve around why you 4bet in the first place. Are you doing it for value, or as a bluff?

What did you expect villain to do with various parts of his range vs your 4bet?

Flatting 4bets is more common than it used to be. Some players will flat a 4bet with a lot of the hands they 3bet with if they like the price they are getting. Including suited connectors, PP's, broadways etc. Then there are other players who flat 4bets with KK/AA only.

Depending on what you expect villain to be calling a 4bet with, and what you expect him to do with that range on the flop, check/shoving may or may not be a good option. If villain is going to bet/call with his entire range that bets the flop check/shoving doesn't really achieve anything.

I will comment further after I hear your thoughts on your pf 4bet, why you did it, and what you were hoping to achieve etc :)
    • Absolutism
      Absolutism
      Bronze
      Well, it was mostly a bluff, but if i get called, i might have some equity also. I have a blocker, so it seemed OK to make a 4bet bluff. I thought he has to fold a lot (89s, A5s, Q6s, 22-99), but im not sure about it anymore. But if i get called, i can still hit the flop hard sometimes (and check/fold the rest).

After he called, i put him on a range like suited high cards (QJs+, ATs+), TT+, slowplayed monsters. I think he can try to bluff me out if i check with like an AJ or total air.

Now as u ask, im not sure if he bets JJ-TT here, so i cant really expect to bluff out better hands with check/shove. Maybe a flop bet is better then...
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by Absolutism
      Well, it was mostly a bluff, but if i get called, i might have some equity also. I have a blocker, so it seemed OK to make a 4bet bluff. I thought he has to fold a lot (89s, A5s, Q6s, 22-99), but im not sure about it anymore. But if i get called, i can still hit the flop hard sometimes (and check/fold the rest).
      I think it's a pretty reasonable assumption. Normally your plan would be to check/fold postflop + also adjust your perception of villain if he shows down something random after calling 4bet. Can't really check/fold with NFD and gutter though.

Originally posted by Absolutism
      After he called, i put him on a range like suited high cards (QJs+, ATs+), TT+, slowplayed monsters. I think he can try to bluff me out if i check with like an AJ or total air.
      Against a range of TT+,ATs+,KQs,QJs,AQo+,KQo you have 45% equity. You will actually need some fold-equity in order for a cbet to be profitable but not very much at all. If you thought villain would fold stuff like AT/AJ TT/JJ. a cbet should be profitable.

The problem with check/shove is he may only bet the hands he wants to stack off with and check back stuff with medium showdown value. So his range that calls your shove has you beat, + he is never folding to your jam. The exception is if you think he may have some weak hands that he could bet/fold flop with, i.e 78s etc. But if these hands are in his range, perhaps it was a poor spot to 4bet bluff in the first place because he evidently isn't folding enough.

If you felt villain was a calling station and that you had no fold-equity, neither cbetting nor check/shoving would be good. You would have to check and simply play according to pot odds.
    • Absolutism
      Absolutism
      Bronze
      But if these hands are in his range, perhaps it was a poor spot to 4bet bluff in the first place because he evidently isn't folding enough.

Wow u are thinking on an another level:) very good analysis, thank you very much!
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      No probs :D