[NL2-NL10] NL10 KK OOP, ace on board

• Absolutism
      Absolutism
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (SB): $10 (100 bb)
      BB: $9.89 (98.9 bb)
      MP: $10.10 (101 bb)
      CO: $4.73 (47.3 bb)
      BTN: $6.69 (66.9 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K K
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, BB raises to $0.50, Hero raises to $1.50, BB calls $1.00

Flop: ($3) A 9 Q (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.50, BB calls $1.50

Turn: ($6) T (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $4.70, Hero folds

Results:
      $6.00 pot ($0.27 rake)
      Final Board: A 9 Q T
      Hero mucked K K and lost (-$3 net)
      BB mucked and won $5.73 ($2.73 net)

55/15/7.7 AF:3 WTSD:12 (80 hands).

Maybe i could bet the turn also, but i cant really bet/fold anymore...so i should push the turn, or check/fold is OK?
  • 4 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Absolutism,

Preflop is fine.

In 95% of cases it is correct to check KK on Axx flop at microstakes.

Maybe you can make an exception here. It's true you will get called by flush-draws, and stuff like TJ. You do block a decent amount of straight draws though. Turn is also going to be very difficult to play if you cbet.

I'd probably check. I think villain's range for betting can potentially be a lot wider than his range for calling. Assuming he is a weak opponent and can have random hands that miss the board, this is the only way you can extract further value from them. He may even bet some of his draws so you won't necessarily lose value, simply keep your opponents range wider.

Either way you probably have to fold the turn. I think on most turns your range will look stronger when you check/call-flop check-turn than when you bet-flop, check-turn. Villains turn bet frequency will be lower in the second scenario. He also has the option of checking back the flop which takes you one step closer to showdown in an awkward situation with a made hand.
    • Absolutism
      Absolutism
      Bronze
      I think on most turns your range will look stronger when you check/call-flop check-turn than when you bet-flop, check-turn. Villains turn bet frequency will be lower in the second scenario.

Wow this totally suprised me, but it sounds logical...
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey, except I got what I meant to say backwards.

I think on most turns your range will look stronger when you check/call-flop check-turn than when you bet-flop, check-turn. Villains turn bet frequency will be higher in the second scenario. (lower in the first, which is good)

Maybe you realised what I meant though.
    • Absolutism
      Absolutism
      Bronze
      Dont worry, i got it right:)