[NL2-NL10] SH NL10 - AQ in SB

• MoneyStef
      MoneyStef
      Bronze
      Hi,

Villain is 18/16, with 4 out of 6 folds to 3bet, Cbet 64%.

How do we proceed with this hand? Are there other options than calling down?

What flops are we looking to hit in general if we call pre-flop?

PartyGaming - $0.10 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 89.8 BB
      Hero (SB): 103.5 BB
      BB: 130.3 BB
      UTG: 100 BB
      MP: 101 BB
      CO: 108.7 BB

Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A:heart: Q:diamond:

fold, MP raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, Hero calls 2.5 BB, fold

Flop: (7 BB, 2 players) K:heart: A:club: 3:spade:
      Hero checks, MP bets 5 BB, Hero calls 5 BB

Turn: (17 BB, 2 players) 6:diamond:
      Hero checks, MP bets 11 BB, Hero calls 11 BB

River: (39 BB, 2 players) 9:club:
      Hero checks, MP checks
  • 7 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

Preflop I would rather 3bet here rather than calling with this hand OOP against a reggish guy.
      I don't like calling since we are OOP, and his overall range doesn't consist too many worse hands so I'd rather 3bet as a bluff.

As played preflop, I would call both flop and turn and fold the river if he bets.

Best,
      Plamen
    • dienaszaglis
      dienaszaglis
      Bronze
      Hi!

Would you fold even to 1/2 (or less) on the river? Villain would play AJ and some ATs the same way.
    • MoneyStef
      MoneyStef
      Bronze
      Ok, thanks. But why do you thing that his range does not contain many worse hands? I think most players will open AT-AJ, and KQ, possibly QJs from middle position.

What if we 3bet, and he calls? How do we proceed?
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      I doubt he will bet on three streets with AJ/AT here.

About preflop - usually people tend to be tight on this positions and I would prefer to play more cautious without having information.
      Also being OOP will make our play postflop tougher and we are not likely to take a lot of value of AT/AJ/KQ anyways.

If it was suited I would rather call but I think offsuit I'd rather 3bet here.

If he calls we can cbet on good boards and continue with the aggression on good rundowns.
    • MoneyStef
      MoneyStef
      Bronze
      Hi,

Sorry to keep going on about this hand, but I want to make sure that I integrate the correct play in my future session.

I have played a bit with EqLab, and made the following analysis:

Villain's openingrange (12% of the hands /10.7% with card removal)
      22+,ATs+,KJs+,QJs,JTs,AJo+,KQo

If we 3bet, he will imo continue with the following range: (4.6 % with card removal):
      88+,AQs+,QJs,JTs,AKo

If he 4bets KK+, it would mean we pick up the pot in 50% of the cases, have to fold to a 4bet in 7% of the cases, and need to play a 3bet pot OOP against a strong range in 43% of the cases. The hands that he continues playing with will fold when an A or Q comes on the board, unless he dominates us.

So, under these assumptions a 3bet is not so good. Where did I make an error in my assumptions?

Thanks in advance
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hey,

No need to be sorry - if something is misunderstand then do not hesitate to ask again.

Overall, I think villain is most likely to fold QJ/JT/99/88 as well, and it's more likely for him to 4bet AK and QQ as well, so we are going to play against a tighter range postflop.

So if we assume me being right we are likely to pick up the pot more often preflop (also don't get to play postflop too much).

Also, since his range is rather weak when he calls preflop (it's most likely to be JJ/TT/AQs) we can more easily make him fold postflop.

In addition, we make some dynamics between us and it's more likely that if we have a good hand to pay off.

Overall, I think that if the opponent is a straight-forward player we are likely to win when we 3bet here.

What do you think about this?
    • MoneyStef
      MoneyStef
      Bronze
      I guess I'll try out 3betting and let you know how it goes ;)