[NL2-NL10] NL10 - bad play or bad beat ??

• Werkon
      Werkon
      Bronze
      Hi, my first post in this forum. I'm quite the newbie and playing poker for about two weeks. I had some downswings so I'm evaluating my play. Thanks for any insights about my hands.

Known players:
      SB:
      $13,51
      Hero:
      $2,00
      UTG:
      $10,00
      UTG+1:
      $1,90
      UTG+2:
      $4,26
      MP1:
      $10,76
      MP2:
      $4,75
      MP3:
      $1,75
      CO:
      $5,70
      BU:
      $3,84

0,05/0,1 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.57 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with J:diamond: , Q:spade:
      6 folds, CO calls $0,10, 2 folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0,25) 4:heart: , Q:heart: , 3:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,10, CO calls $0,10.

Turn: ($0,45) A:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,20, CO raises to $1,00, Hero calls $0,80.

River: ($2,45) K:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $4,50 (All-In), Hero raises to $0,80 (All-In).

Final Pot: $7,75

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of queens (Jd Qs)
      CO shows a flush, ace high (Ah Ts)

CO wins with a flush, ace high (Ah Ts)
  • 7 replies
    • Rukawa
      Rukawa
      Bronze
      If your playing SSS then your flop and turn bets are low, but with AhTs he would have probably called any bet you made. Now once he raised you, you should have folded the hand cause your pair of Q is hardly ever good on a board like that.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hi Werkon,

You do not have a made hand Post-flop, turn and on the river.

Therefore only your PostFlop best is somehow justified. I woul raise it up to 20c or 15c or even 25c to protect your hand.

When the Ace comes on the Turn, it is a Check/fold all the way since you now have Mid Pair Weak Kicker

Conclusion:
      Bad Play on the Turn & River because Any flush, any two pair, any Ace and 52s/o , any King that can beat you here.

I suggest studying the Articles
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/no-limit/824/
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/no-limit/212/

Good luck!
      Gerv
    • Werkon
      Werkon
      Bronze
      Gerv : thanks for answer. Question about the flop bet though, article says that you should bet 2/3 pot when you hit something and are first to enter the pot. It is sometimes hard to hit the precise amount, is it in general better to bet slightly more or slightly less ??

Rukawa : thanks, how much would you bet ? 2/3 of $0,25 is about $0,15 ... is it the right amount ?
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      2/3 is mostly common where the pot exceeds 25% of your stack so in this case 50 cents.

Beneath the 50 cents mark, just use Potsized as it adds extra money for you or to protect your hand more.
      So in this case I should bet Potsized $0.25 instead of $0.15. It differs only 10 cents as you can see.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hello Werkon and welcome to the forum,

on flop you should have bet at least 0.25$ because the board is drawy(you don't want to give good odds to the villain to make a call) and the pot is unraised.

On turn I would bet 2/3 of the potsize and fold to a reraise.

If you don't feel comfortable playing postflop you should only play the hands that are in the SHC untill you get more familiar with the poker. But I do believe you should play aggresively top pair middle kicker in heads up and freeplay situations.

Keep posting your hands to improve your game.

P.S.: When posting hands in forum don't post the results, because it may affect the comments.
    • Rukawa
      Rukawa
      Bronze
      Like already said 0,20 or 0,25. On the turn both check/fold and bet/fold to raise are ok, both have it's +- side but in NL10 it rely isn't that big of a difference.
    • ysessa
      ysessa
      Basic
      Hi Werkon,

as already said bet flop pot 0,25 you don't want to see another heart and on the turn I play bet fold which means I fold to a raise when he only calls the turn I look at the river card considering check call or check fold, on a heart river I definitely check fold.

Best Regards

Ysessa