This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] Call down or raise and river bet sizing?

• maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Bronze
      Prima, $0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $9.33 (46.7 bb)
      MP: $20 (100 bb)
      CO: $12.80 (64 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $20 (100 bb)
      SB: $69.52 (347.6 bb) Just 4 hands, 75/50/AF 7.0

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 7 7
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.60, SB calls $0.50, BB folds

Flop: ($1.40) 7 4 9 (2 players)
      SB bets $1.40, Hero calls $1.40

I called down here to keep weaker part of his range and bluffs in play. Fine to call or should I raise for protection + value

Turn: ($4.20) Q (2 players)
      SB bets $1.60, Hero calls $1.60

His bet size reduces significantly now he might be scared of the Q and might be planning to bet/fold here. The board is still dry so I decide to jsut call and raise river.

River: ($7.40) 5 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $5.50, SB folds

I highly doubt he's going to call me here on the river, should I bet very less to induce a call like ~3 or should I go for value? Even if he had a hand like A9 he might not call a big bet but might call a small one. If he had a strong enough hand to call my river bet size then he would have bet river himself.
  • 2 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

I think calling turn makes more sense if he bets bigger. Who knows whether he is going to bet/fold or bet/call?

We may have problems getting all the money in by the river though. But I think calling is fine, I agree that he doesn't seem that strong. If we had a greater read about him being some calling station fish, then I would still raise the Turn anyway, hoping that he has 88-JJ or QX and then jam the River.

Thanks.
    • MaHnaK
      MaHnaK
      Bronze
      I am more inclined to raising the turn here, he might bet/call if he is calling station as mbml said. If he has weaker hand, i don't see him betting river often.