SB checks, Hero checks

RIVER ($6.20) 8:heart: Q:spade: 8:club: 9:heart: A:club:

SB bets $3.10, Hero raises to $6.60, SB folds

Hero shows A:spade: Q:heart:

Hero wins $11.78

PS.com reg
      calls vs steal OOP w AK
      bluffcatches rivers light

on flop he is having 8x or bluff but more likley a bluff because people slowplay trips on dry board, so I call.

I don't bet the turn, because I don't see any value - vs bluff/8x range.

Now river this can be a bluff, but also maybe he has hit some ace, even AK is in his range, so for value. Maybe could raise bit bigger, because if he has Ax, he calls, if he has air, he folds even to such small raise.

BUt if he reraises river I guess I have to fold, it would be a bluff very rarely.
  • 5 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hey,

Unless you guys have some sort of weird dynamic, he always bets 8x, 99, JT on the turn so he is left with his air so I would always bet because he either has air with some equity or he has some fancy played QT type hand which I get value from. As played, if you think his range can contain AK I would shove it in on the river, not raise less... When you check back you barely rep a value hand yourself and if he has air he is folding regardless. Any hand that beats you was heavily discounted in my view on the turn when he checks.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Bronze
      yeah, he might have some weirdly played Qx or air with equity, but does he really has that often it?

I mean I rarely get a value on the turn. BUt when I check, I show weakness so I get same value or more on the river. I will not get 2 more streets of value most likely.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SPeedFANat1c
      yeah, he might have some weirdly played Qx or air with equity, but does he really has that often it?

I mean I rarely get a value on the turn. BUt when I check, I show weakness so I get same value or more on the river. I will not get 2 more streets of value most likely.
      The thing is I also float this sort of raise often so I want to stay aggressive immediately when someone shows weakness and have a wide, undefined range. If you think you can rep without ever showing up with the hand I like checking back to get some value on river but he has air so often, case in which air would have bluffed turn if it wanted, wouldn't it? I mean, logically it doesn't make much sense but ofc we are dealing with people meaning if you believe your opponent to be irational here then exploit that like you proposed. It makes sense given some circumstances which aren't that uncommon: a confused opponent that will change his plan a lot.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Bronze
      case in which air would have bluffed turn if it wanted, wouldn't it?

I think he could easily had been giving up on turn once his bluff did not work on flop.

But I showed weakness on turn and on river he might rep some aces so he bets. Also he knows that I am tight in going to showdowns - wtsd 20.

He might want to make fold hands like TT, JJ.

The thing is I also float this sort of raise often so I want to stay aggressive immediately when someone shows weakness and have a wide, undefined range.

Maybe I should first set up this floating image. Because I really don't have it and another thing is - I am not in such situations often. I see people rarely raising such flops because for the same reason - this will not rep much.

I mean the same logic as stacking off with AQ preflop. If we do not have bluff 4bet image, then we cannot 4bet call with AQ.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      I don't wait to set up the image, I just use that specific range to start with and deviate afterwards based on information so my standard is to not fold here too often and bet many turns when checked to.