[NL20-NL50] nl20 Standard River Shove?

• Ghartman
      $0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP: $30.41 (152 bb)
      CO: $20 (100 bb)
      BTN: $44.18 (220.9 bb)
      SB: $19.36 (96.8 bb)
      Hero (BB): $23.75 (118.8 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6 8
      2 folds, BTN raises to $0.40, SB calls $0.30, Hero calls $0.20

Flop: ($1.20) K 8 T (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.80, BTN folds, SB calls $0.80

Turn: ($2.80) 6 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.80, SB calls $1.80

River: ($6.40) 4 (2 players)
      SB bets $3, Hero?????

Ok, so a pretty loose defend from the BB but with a button min-raise and a call from the SB, I decided to peel a flop with my suited connectedy type hand. BB seemed to be a standard TAG raising a lot of buttons and I hadn't had too many hands to play back at him yet but we had played a couple of hands and I'd managed to get him to fold. SB, as we can see, has a broken stack and could be a recreational player. He had opened from the SB 4x a couple of times which stood out and I had just folded, but no real history with him yet.

A great flop for me and I liked a lead here to build the pot. Button folds and SB calls. An even better turn which I could have bet maybe $2.20-40 on reflection and was happy to obviously get it in if he showed any aggression on the turn versus my bet.

Now the river hits and he leads out half pot!? This really stumped me, he had played it so far exactly like a flush draw and I was really unsure of whether to raise, shove or just flat call here. One of the few hands from my session that stood out. What would be a good line here in a vacuum? Is a shove overplaying my weak flush? Let me know what you think.

• 3 replies
    • jachis
      I think this is a decent spot for a small raise/fold 3 to 7-8 .I think that a recreational player doesnt necceserily have flush there, he can have some wierdly played 2pair or even straight which he'd be tempted to call the small raise but not shove over. He might as well even blockbet a weak Kx here.
    • BogdanPS
      Hi Ghartman,

I believe that we can raise/fold that river given the amount of money left in the pot and the fact that most players do not shove anything else but a flush there.

On the river we still have $16.36 so I think we can make it $7.5-$8 and still fold.

The reason I think we can raise here is because villain's bet looks like a block bet with a made hand like Kx, 2p, some straights or an inducer bet with a flush.
      And even though fish think they are block betting they can't fold to small raises with those hands.

Without information I think that shoving is too loose and calling may lose us value.
    • Ghartman

Yes I elected to just call this time and indeed missed out on some value but, because of how the hand played out, I don't hate my play too much. I'll remember the raise/fold line for next time though. I appreciate the input.