This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] SH NL10 - AQ in SB

• MoneyStef
      MoneyStef
      Bronze
      Villain looks decent, but only on a sample of 15 hands: 23/15.

What would be the right play here? Should I bluff the river? Fold the flop?

PartyGaming - $0.10 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 100 BB
      Hero (SB): 100 BB
      BB: 130.3 BB
      UTG: 110.4 BB
      MP: 100.5 BB
      CO: 64.7 BB

Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Q:heart: A:spade:

fold, MP raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, Hero raises to 11 BB, fold, MP calls 8 BB

Flop: (23 BB, 2 players) 9:spade: 4:club: 6:heart:
      Hero checks, MP bets 5 BB, Hero calls 5 BB

Turn: (33 BB, 2 players) 4:heart:
      Hero checks, MP checks

River: (33 BB, 2 players) 5:spade:
      Hero checks, MP bets 27 BB, fold

MP wins 31.4 BB
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi MoneyStef,

Preflop: Are we raising for value or as a bluff here? It looks like a bluff to me.

Postflop: Why are we check calling the flop? I think we should simply bet/fold or ck/fold there. Ck/calling with little equity OOP will lose you a lot of money.

As played he isn't repping much at all on the river but at the same time we aren't either so I'd just fold.
    • MoneyStef
      MoneyStef
      Bronze
      Thanks for the feedback. Can you take a look at the additional questions:

Pre-flop: definitely as a bluff, one of the other coaches advised me to do so in a very similar hand (same positions, reads on villain and holecards, so really very similar). Would you 3bet here or call?

Postflop: as played is it better to Cbet, even on such a board? I put a lot of PPs in villains range that would not fold on the flop, but maybe this is not correct.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by MoneyStef
      Thanks for the feedback. Can you take a look at the additional questions:

Pre-flop: definitely as a bluff, one of the other coaches advised me to do so in a very similar hand (same positions, reads on villain and holecards, so really very similar). Would you 3bet here or call?

Postflop: as played is it better to Cbet, even on such a board? I put a lot of PPs in villains range that would not fold on the flop, but maybe this is not correct.
      Preflop: 3-betting as a bluff is fine because we often pick up the pot and make it relatively easy to play. However it's not always our best option because we turn a good hand into a bluff. I do agree that calling will make it harder to play OOP. The reason I asked is to be sure you were doing it as a bluff because for value it's very thin at best.

Postflop: I think that you can still cbet here given that villain can also call big broadways like AQ, and some AK and others and generally speaking those fold to a cbet. There are also some small pairs that may fold (77-88).

And we also have a chance to continue on certain turns like high cards (for value or bluff).