[NL2-NL10] SH NL10 - AQ in SB

• MoneyStef
      MoneyStef
      Bronze
      Villain looks decent, but only on a sample of 15 hands: 23/15.

What would be the right play here? Should I bluff the river? Fold the flop?

PartyGaming - $0.10 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 100 BB
      Hero (SB): 100 BB
      BB: 130.3 BB
      UTG: 110.4 BB
      MP: 100.5 BB
      CO: 64.7 BB

Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Q:heart: A:spade:

fold, MP raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, Hero raises to 11 BB, fold, MP calls 8 BB

Flop: (23 BB, 2 players) 9:spade: 4:club: 6:heart:
      Hero checks, MP bets 5 BB, Hero calls 5 BB

Turn: (33 BB, 2 players) 4:heart:
      Hero checks, MP checks

River: (33 BB, 2 players) 5:spade:
      Hero checks, MP bets 27 BB, fold

MP wins 31.4 BB
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi MoneyStef,

Preflop: Are we raising for value or as a bluff here? It looks like a bluff to me.

Postflop: Why are we check calling the flop? I think we should simply bet/fold or ck/fold there. Ck/calling with little equity OOP will lose you a lot of money.

As played he isn't repping much at all on the river but at the same time we aren't either so I'd just fold.
    • MoneyStef
      MoneyStef
      Bronze
      Thanks for the feedback. Can you take a look at the additional questions:

Pre-flop: definitely as a bluff, one of the other coaches advised me to do so in a very similar hand (same positions, reads on villain and holecards, so really very similar). Would you 3bet here or call?

Postflop: as played is it better to Cbet, even on such a board? I put a lot of PPs in villains range that would not fold on the flop, but maybe this is not correct.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by MoneyStef
      Thanks for the feedback. Can you take a look at the additional questions:

Pre-flop: definitely as a bluff, one of the other coaches advised me to do so in a very similar hand (same positions, reads on villain and holecards, so really very similar). Would you 3bet here or call?

Postflop: as played is it better to Cbet, even on such a board? I put a lot of PPs in villains range that would not fold on the flop, but maybe this is not correct.
      Preflop: 3-betting as a bluff is fine because we often pick up the pot and make it relatively easy to play. However it's not always our best option because we turn a good hand into a bluff. I do agree that calling will make it harder to play OOP. The reason I asked is to be sure you were doing it as a bluff because for value it's very thin at best.

Postflop: I think that you can still cbet here given that villain can also call big broadways like AQ, and some AK and others and generally speaking those fold to a cbet. There are also some small pairs that may fold (77-88).

And we also have a chance to continue on certain turns like high cards (for value or bluff).