[NL2-NL10] NL5 - BB with QQ

• ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      :facepalm:

Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $6.47 (129.4 bb)
      SB: $5.41 (108.2 bb)
      Hero (BB): $5.65 (113 bb)
      UTG: $2.55 (51 bb)
      MP: $6.47 (129.4 bb)
      CO: $5 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q Q
      4 folds, SB raises to $0.15, Hero raises to $0.45, SB calls $0.30

Flop: ($0.90) J 4 8 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.65, SB calls $0.65

Turn: ($2.20) K (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

River: ($2.20) 3 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

Results:
      $2.20 pot ($0.09 rake)
      Final Board: J 4 8 K 3
      SB showed A J and lost (-$1.10 net)
      Hero showed Q Q and won $2.11 ($1.01 net)
  • 5 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Matt,

Preflop: looks fine

Postflop: I agree with our flop cbet but again I'd make it slightly smaller (as a default we can cbet smaller in 3-bet pots unless we play against huge stations).

As played I would prefer a bet/fold on the turn as there is still value from pairs with diamond or Jx with diamond.
    • dienaszaglis
      dienaszaglis
      Bronze
      Hi!

What would be the sizing on the turn? 1/2 - 3/5?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by dienaszaglis
      Hi!

What would be the sizing on the turn? 1/2 - 3/5?

I would say that around 1/2 pot because the Kd is a big scare card and we don't want to isolate only versus the stronger range.
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      Postflop: I agree with our flop cbet but again I'd make it slightly smaller (as a default we can cbet smaller in 3-bet pots unless we play against huge stations).
      I've seen this brought up a few times but I'm unsure why, could you explain why we bet smaller in 3bet pot?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by ThatGuyMatt
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      I've seen this brought up a few times but I'm unsure why, could you explain why we bet smaller in 3bet pot?
      Hi Matt,

First we have to look at SPR ratios. And second we have to look at ranges.

Normally, in 3-bet pots, you have a tighter/stronger range and villain has a tighter/stronger range. Due to smaller SPR you don't need to worry about protection as much as you would in a SRP.

And, given ~100 BB stacks, you can get the money in comfortably by betting 1/2 pot or around that. And when we bluff our bluffs have to work less often because we put less money in.

Of course there are scenarios where we deviate from this "standard" like spots where we don't really have a bluffing range so we go for pure value.