[NL2-NL10] NL10 FR QJs

• luckyaceguy
      luckyaceguy
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 8 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BTN): $9.70 (97 bb)
      SB: $5.76 (57.6 bb)
      BB: $11.83 (118.3 bb)
      UTG+2: $8.73 (87.3 bb)
      MP1: $10 (100 bb)
      MP2: $12.59 (125.9 bb)
      MP3: $6.79 (67.9 bb)
      CO: $10.25 (102.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with J Q
      3 folds, MP3 calls $0.10, CO folds, Hero raises to $0.30, 2 folds, MP3 calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.75) J 6 7 (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero bets $0.30, MP3 calls $0.30

Turn: ($1.35) T (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero bets $0.90, MP3 calls $0.90

River: ($3.15) K (2 players)
      MP3 bets $0.50, Hero ???

I didnt have much info on villain. But seemed very fishy and saw him limp AQs, 107o 65o and was limp calling alot.

I wanted to raise here but then I thought maybe no worse hand is calling and if he shoves??? Should I have raised this river for more value or is calling this small donk bet ok?

Results:
      $4.15 pot ($0.19 rake)
      Final Board: J 6 7 T K
      Hero showed J Q and won $3.96 ($1.96 net)
      MP3 showed J 4 and lost (-$2 net)
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Lucky,

Preflop: I would isolate to 4x here (3x + 1x for limper).

Postflop: cbet is fine but I would bet at least 1/2 pot. No reason to underbet here especially against a huge fish.

The T is not the greatest card but we can still get some value from J9/J8, 88,99, etc and if anything this is where we can bet smaller, closer to have pot.

On the river I would look at just calling him given the odds. That's usually a block bet with a weak pair or inducer bet.

As a side note, once you leave a reply, please hit the "advise judge to take another look" button so we can see that you would like to continue the discussion.
    • luckyaceguy
      luckyaceguy
      Bronze
      Hi bogdan

ok 4x next time.

so I should have made it 4x then 1/2 pot to 2/3 on flop. 1/2 on turn and pretty much just call the river given the odds. I could have made more value this way.

I see this on the river alot and it is usually weak but sometimes players do it so that they can shove and show me the nuts lol. I have a note on this player now so next time I will make the correct move.

thank you
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by luckyaceguy
      Hi bogdan

ok 4x next time.

so I should have made it 4x then 1/2 pot to 2/3 on flop. 1/2 on turn and pretty much just call the river given the odds. I could have made more value this way.

I see this on the river alot and it is usually weak but sometimes players do it so that they can shove and show me the nuts lol. I have a note on this player now so next time I will make the correct move.

thank you
      Yes, the idea is to always look at his range and see what he can call you with. On the flop his range is widest but the turn brings a bad card (in a way) because it helps a few of the hands we were beating on the flop and we no longer beat. So we bet smaller to still keep in the weaker hands.

And on the river, until we have a read like this, we can just call.