[NL20-NL50] 87s 2nd pair + FD

• AchillesBG
      AchillesBG
      Gold
      On Game, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: $45.98 (92 bb)
      BTN: $69.36 (138.7 bb)
      Hero (SB): $49.25 (98.5 bb)
      BB: $53.70 (107.4 bb)
      UTG: $57.12 (114.2 bb)
      MP: $64.27 (128.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8:spade: 7:spade:
      4 folds, Hero raises to $1.50, BB calls $1

Flop: ($3) 8:club: K:spade: 5:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $2, BB calls $2

Turn: ($7) 2:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $3, Hero calls $3

River: ($13) 2:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $6, Hero?

BB 68/23 88 hands fold to Cbet f/t 44/75 55% agg. freq. 88 hands

Saw him thin value betting 2nd pairs 3way, 3 streets but with smaller sizing.

So how do you play the turn? I don`t see much value in betting 2nd time but i don`t want to ch/f, because i`m probably ahead of his range and have outs to improve if i`m behind. However if i ch/c turn, i`ll have another difficult decision on the river.
  • 3 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey AchillesBG,

What's the traffic like at 50nl ongame?

Preflop is fine.

Pair and flush-draw nearly always has a ton of equity. Some fold equity too means I'd definitely cbet.

Turn - Villain has a low Ftcbet flop and a high Ftcbet turn. I don't see why you wouldn't want to fire a second barrel in this spot. You still have lots of equity and some fold equity. Easy 2nd barrel imo.

As played you can't really fold unless villain overbets. Decent chance you have 14 outs, sometimes even the best hand. You clearly have a profitable call on turn, even if you check/fold every river unimproved. If you are unsure of his river range just check/fold on every river that isn't a , 7 or 8.
    • AchillesBG
      AchillesBG
      Gold
      Originally posted by w34z3l
      What's the traffic like at 50nl ongame?
      it`s ok. Smth. like 10 tables at noon, and 25-30 now.

Turn - Villain has a low Ftcbet flop and a high Ftcbet turn. I don't see why you wouldn't want to fire a second barrel in this spot. You still have lots of equity and some fold equity. Easy 2nd barrel imo.
      I can bet the turn, but he probably won`t fold better, and if he calls with worse (FD/67) he will bluff me on the river and i don`t really want to b / b / ch/c vs. this guy, because he will value bet any Kx and even some good 2nd pairs, whick should be a lot more combos than his draws.

By ch/calling the turn i keep his range a lot wider and let him bluff with more hands. However if my logic for the turn is correct, i should also be prepared to call the river and lose more $ to his value hands.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by AchillesBG

By ch/calling the turn i keep his range a lot wider and let him bluff with more hands.However if my logic for the turn is correct, i should also be prepared to call the river and lose more $ to his value hands.
      Theoretically what you are saying is true. But this is assuming you are capable of bluff catching effectively on the river.

If you are not sure where you will stand vs a river barrel it would be better to treat your hand as semi-bluff on the turn even though some of the range that folds is worse than a pair of 8s. (You will sometimes fold out out better perhaps, 99-JJ etc and folding out opponent's equity share when he holds worse has its benefits)

Either way it's not a huge deal if you let yourself get bluffed out on river imo. Barrelling will be +EV and check/calling will be +EV even if you fold every river unimproved. If you are good enough to bluff-catch river you can increase your expectation further, but if you mess up the situation may become unprofitable.