[NL20-NL50] 50shz AKs UTG

• AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $51 (102 bb)
      SB: $118.52 (237 bb)
      BB: $50 (100 bb)
      Hero (UTG): $107.12 (214.2 bb)
      MP: $76.13 (152.3 bb)
      CO: $105.46 (210.9 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A K
      Hero raises to $1.50, 2 folds, BTN raises to $4.50, 2 folds, Hero raises to $11.25, BTN calls $6.75

Flop: ($23.25) 7 A Q (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $16.50, Hero raises to $95.87 and is all-in, BTN calls $23.25 and is all-in

Turn: ($102.75) A (2 players, 2 are all-in)
      River: ($102.75) 3 (2 players, 2 are all-in)

Results:
      $102.75 pot ($3.00 rake)
      Final Board: 7 A Q A 3
      BTN showed Q A and won $99.75 ($48.75 net)
      Hero showed A K and lost (-$51.00 net)

VPIP: 41, PFR: 21, 3B: 11, AF: 1,8, Hands: 96

I never know what to do when they call my 4Bet due to the huge committing size of the pot.
      Usually I put them on something like TT-QQ, AK, sometimes AQs.

On this board, considering that range, should I have just check folded?
      As I was behind QQ, AQ, and JJ and TT would have never paid a cent more.

Not knowing if check/fold here was too much, I simply checked to induce bluff and raise all-in for the very unlikely possibility of making another AK fold.
  • 3 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey AtrociousNightmare,

The first thing to ask is: why are you 4betting preflop? Has villain been 3betting aggressively vs early-position opens or just late-position opens? AKs could easily be behind his range in this spot.

Assuming AKs is ahead of his range, is villain going to be calling a 4bet with worse? UTG vs BU your 4bet looks extremely strong. If you think villain continues with only TT+/AQs+,AKo, then your value bet is not great. You are behind that range and OOP (45% equity).

It may be in practice that villains range is wider than this. If he's bad he can easily have some suited-connectors or lower PPs. Many of these hands won't be strong enough to call flop cbet but they may bluff. I like your idea of checking. Usually best option will be to call down rather than check/raise though, you want to keep your opponents range as wide as possible.
    • AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Originally posted by w34z3l
      Hey AtrociousNightmare,

The first thing to ask is: why are you 4betting preflop? Has villain been 3betting aggressively vs early-position opens or just late-position opens? AKs could easily be behind his range in this spot.

Assuming AKs is ahead of his range, is villain going to be calling a 4bet with worse? UTG vs BU your 4bet looks extremely strong. If you think villain continues with only TT+/AQs+,AKo, then your value bet is not great. You are behind that range and OOP (45% equity).

It may be in practice that villains range is wider than this. If he's bad he can easily have some suited-connectors or lower PPs. Many of these hands won't be strong enough to call flop cbet but they may bluff. I like your idea of checking. Usually best option will be to call down rather than check/raise though, you want to keep your opponents range as wide as possible.
      His 3Bet is 11, I thought that's wide enough to 4Bet an AKs no?
      He could 3Bet me with many things, including connectors.
      Maybe I'm wrong, I'm pretty new to 6max ranges (few days).

When you say "then your value bet is not great" do you mean the 4Bet? 'cos I didn't bet on flop.

I would have check/called like you suggested, but pot was so huge that I thought nothing would have folded, not even bluffs at this point. I thought the chance of a bluff calling on flop was higher than him bluffing again on turn for an all-in.

Anyway, apart from all of this, can I find a check/fold on this spot on flop?
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by AtrociousNightmare

His 3Bet is 11, I thought that's wide enough to 4Bet an AKs no?
      He could 3Bet me with many things, including connectors.
      Maybe I'm wrong, I'm pretty new to 6max ranges (few days).
      There are two problems with this assumption.

11% 3bet does not mean villain is 3betting 11% vs UTG open. Most villains will be 3betting a lot less vs UTG opens.

Even if villain WAS 3betting 11%, is the range that continues to your 4bet favourable for AKs? It may not be.

When you say "then your value bet is not great" do you mean the 4Bet? 'cos I didn't bet on flop.
      Yes, I'm referring to your 4bet. Presumably you were doing it for value :coolface:

I would have check/called like you suggested, but pot was so huge that I thought nothing would have folded, not even bluffs at this point. I thought the chance of a bluff calling on flop was higher than him bluffing again on turn for an all-in.
      It is just an assumption based on standard poker theory. I.e if you think villain is bluffing, the way you keep in his bluffs is to flat. If you think he's going to call with entire range that bets the flop(including bluffs) then there is no reason why you wouldn't check/raise I guess.

Anyway, apart from all of this, can I find a check/fold on this spot on flop?
      I really don't think so. You are ahead of villains range that reaches the flop and there is already a ton of money in the pot. If you are worried about villain's range, the way you keep his range wide is by playing passively.

You don't even need to be a favourite vs his range to check/call with the dead money out there, but you do need to get called by worse 50% of the time or more in order for a value bet to be profitable if you take an aggressive line.