[NL20-NL50] 50shz JJ MP

• AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $31.10 (62.2 bb)
      SB: $59.71 (119.4 bb)
      BB: $60.29 (120.6 bb)
      UTG: $109.03 (218.1 bb)
      Hero (MP): $73.27 (146.5 bb)
      CO: $71.98 (144 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with J J
      UTG folds, Hero raises to $1.50, CO calls $1.50, 2 folds, BB calls $1

Flop: ($4.75) K 8 J (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $4, CO folds, BB calls $4

Turn: ($12.75) 3 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $9.64, BB calls $9.64

River: ($32.03) 4 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $15.13, BB calls $15.13

Results:
      $62.29 pot ($3.00 rake)
      Final Board: K 8 J 3 4
      BB showed 5 6 and won $59.29 ($29.02 net)
      Hero showed J J and lost (-$30.27 net)

VPIP: 22, PFR: 16, 3B: 11, AF: 1,8, Hands: 116

Should have just checked behind vs seemingly solid player right?
      Busted flush doesn't certainly pay me anyway.
  • 3 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey AtrociousNightmare,

I think the hand is ok.

There may be some thin value on the river from Kx, KJ, 88 etc. Given your turn sizing I'm not sure how often he reaches river with Kx. Checking back certainly isn't out of the question. I would probably bet $10 or so expecting to get a decent amount of folds.

Flushes are not overly likely by the river. Higher flushes he may play more aggressively, so in a lot of cases he can only have baby flushes.
    • AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Originally posted by w34z3l
      Hey AtrociousNightmare,

I think the hand is ok.

There may be some thin value on the river from Kx, KJ, 88 etc. Given your turn sizing I'm not sure how often he reaches river with Kx. Checking back certainly isn't out of the question. I would probably bet $10 or so expecting to get a decent amount of folds.

Flushes are not overly likely by the river. Higher flushes he may play more aggressively, so in a lot of cases he can only have baby flushes.
      You raised a question in my brrrainzorz.

On flush flops, if I have a small flush I play aggressively and raise to avoid single spades to draw better flush, and for value against everything else. If I have a big flush, I raise to make sets and the like pay instead of getting scared in case of another spade. If I have sets, I raise for value and protection.

So the only things left that I play more passively are pairs or anyway medium made hands and draws.

I just realized like this I'm very readable.
      How can I fix?
      Should I slowplay A high flushes?
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey AtrociousNightmare,

What you are mentioning is a strong pattern you will see in lower stakes games (and often higher). Players that raise on monotone boards are rarely messing around, they usually have a set or better.

I'm not convinced it's a huge mistake to be unbalanced here at 50nl.

Assuming you wanted to balance there are 2 ways you can go about it in pretty much every spot. In this instance -

1. Bluffing more on monotone boards
      2. Slowplaying some big hands on monotone boards.

Usually a combination of both options will result in the most efficient balance. You want to protect both your range that plays slowly and your range that plays quickly. I.e If you only adjusted by sometimes slow-playing on monotone boards, your raising range would still be unbalanced (just slightly narrower).