Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has K:spade: K:heart:

Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, CO calls 3 BB, fold, fold, fold

Flop: (7.5 BB, 2 players) 2:heart: 6:club: 9:diamond:
      Hero bets 5.6 BB, CO raises to 18.2 BB, Hero calls 12.6 BB

Turn: (43.9 BB, 2 players) 8:spade:
      Hero checks, CO bets 21.95 BB, Hero calls 21.95 BB

River: (87.8 BB, 2 players) Q:club:
      Hero checks, CO bets 43.9 BB, Hero calls 43.9 BB

Hero mucks K:spade: K:heart: (One Pair, Kings) (Pre 81%, Flop 88%, Turn 5%)
      CO shows 8:club: 8:heart: (Three of a Kind, Eights) (Pre 19%, Flop 12%, Turn 95%)
      CO wins 166.85 BB

72 hands, 24 VP 19 PFR

I call and flop and plan to fold turn on large bets. He could do that with 9A, TT-QQ
  • 3 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Heya,

My line is to check flop here. We are deep, I will often let my opponent vbet too thinly vs me and control the pot size better because my hand is very weak this deep on sooo many runouts. After you cbet, I would go the nitway and fold because I see no runout where I can play well and be confident in getting to showdown. I think your line is 'standard' in the sense that that's what you'll see from others at your stakes but I think it's a losing line.
    • mlatasrb
      mlatasrb
      Gold
      I agree it should be fold on flop. I usually fold with QQ+ in such a situations, but this time I wanted to decide on turn and see if he bets big. He did raise and then bet 50% pot size, which didn't make much sense to me, so I called, and hoped he overplays TT, JJ

I dont understand your point of not cbetting here because we are deep? Isn't it playing "scared poker"? Anyway I don't plan to play for stacks in non 3bet pot deep, so I think bet bet bet is ok because he could call with 9x, TT, JJ, or lower pairs if he doesnt believe me. If I get raise I should fold.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      It might not be an issue vs him but most players realize how stack depths affects hand strength and just raise every hand they continue with. It's quite a good play against some people here to always raise or fold flop with your whole range in villain's spot. You put a lot of pressure on PFR this deep and you get many ways to win the pot later on, even if your T9s is not the best hand.

Even against a more standard player, I check here as PFR relatively often so then I sometimes include KK in this range to get to showdown a lot of the time. It's not -EV to cbet ofc but it depends on how you want to construct your ranges and sometimes I put KK into my checking range (not always and not against anyone)