BB: 35.5 BB
      UTG: 92.75 BB
      MP: 100 BB
      Hero (CO): 146.25 BB
      BTN: 128.55 BB
      SB: 140.2 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Q:heart: 5:heart:

fold, MP raises to 3 BB, Hero raises to 9 BB, BTN calls 9 BB, fold, fold, fold

Flop: (22.5 BB, 2 players) Q:spade: 8:club: 9:club:
      Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: (22.5 BB, 2 players) 4:club:
      Hero bets 11.25 BB, BTN calls 11.25 BB

River: (45 BB, 2 players) 9:heart:
      Hero bets 22 BB, BTN calls 22 BB

Hero shows Q:heart: 5:heart: (Two Pair, Queens and Nines) (Pre 32%, Flop 72%, Turn 68%)
      BTN shows J:club: J:diamond: (Two Pair, Jacks and Nines) (Pre 68%, Flop 28%, Turn 32%)
      Hero wins 84.55 BB

20 hands on MP, VP 29, PFr 22

He seems to be regg, so I like to 3bet suited cards IP, and if he is regg unknown, I expect him to fold most of the time.

BU 5 hands, VP 80. Is it enough to say for BU he is probably fish, because he played 4/5 hands, and calls 3bet cold?

I dont have 3 value street, and put him on TT, JJ, AK when he checks back, so is my bet turn and river fine?
  • 3 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hey,

Preflop, I kind of dislike the 3bet if you always do it. It's a type of hand (low suited Qx) that will get your frequency too high with not that good equity but with a tight image and getting many folds pre it's fine just be aware of your image.

Postflop I like a lot tbh. I would like to hear all your thought process here because it's quite a good spot to do what you did but you need to have a clear picture of why. Have a go? Then I'll fill in more of my thoughts.
    • mlatasrb
      mlatasrb
      Gold
      I dont 3bet always with specific cards, but more about against specific opponent.
      Against people who fold >80% I 3bet each suited card. If somebody doesnt fold much, then I do it with AQ+, TT+. If somebody is calling 3flop tight I prefer 3bet with suited connectors, and if they defend only by 4betting I 3bet with blockers. Is it ok plan? My 3bet is 10-11%, 4bet 10%.

When BU calls preflop, his range is very clear. It is TT-QQ. AK, most of the time. I think the most frequent one is JJ, QQ because they have nice playability.
      Since I have Qx, he could have only one QQ, and so I check flop to show that my hand is not strong (not KK, AA, QQ) and plan to get 2 streets from TT, JJ, and AK. Turn he could also call with fd AK, and could even decide to bluff catch river.
      Because If I bet flop bet turn he folds TT, JJ, AK. If he bets flop I call, but if he bets turn I fold because I would be better just against AK, (TT and JJ he doesnt bet 2x or even once).
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      OK, BU's preflop range should be a bit wider than that imo but not too wide.. I'd usually include some other suited broadways and probably take out a few QQ and AK combos.

Your flop reasoning is correct in the sense that he probably won't pay off too light plus your hand is not strong to worry about bad cards since if any bad card improves the villain, he would've been about flipping with you on the flop anyway. The key here is that villain checked back flop. In such a situation he excluded all strong hands from his range and he is capped at something like QJ AT MOST!! This means his most likely holdings are: air, TT, JJ, 8x, 9x which were unlikely from preflop so he has TT/JJ quite often. Furthermore, you never represent a good Q in his eyes because you check flop and so your betting range is viewed as maybe KQ with clubs that tried to get tricky, maybe QQ and just about it. He will never think you bet this weak of a hand so he will underestimate your value range, making way more calls than he should.