3 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
      BTN ($155) 78bb
      SB ($282.60) 141bb
      zipper2468 (BB) ($305.70) 153bb

Pre-Flop: ($3, 3 players) zipper2468 is BB 10:club: K:spade:
      BTN raises to $6, SB folds, zipper2468 calls $4

Flop: 4:heart: 10:spade: Q:spade: ($11, 2 players)
      zipper2468 checks, BTN bets $6, $6 to zipper2468 ($299.7)?

In this sample villain is unknown.

At what betsize from villain would you c/r this flop for protection?

Would that betsize have to be the same for A5 hand on 458r?

What other factors do you consider when deciding whether to c/r for protection/value or playing it passively as bluffcatcher.
  • 3 replies
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Well the only time I'd even consider c/c is when im up against a very passive player. The board is really ugly and good for him to barrel off so vs any agro reg you will have a hard time getting to showdown. When you c/c this flop your range is kinda capped and will rarely be able to stand 3 barrels and there's a ton of scare cards he can bluff on.

And even if you close your eyes and call him down, you might not even have the best hand on the flop and even when you do you can still get sucked out a decent % of the time.

Overall our just not winning this hand very often playing it passively, unless you have a good read on the opponent(basically a very passive fish thats going to let you get to showdown often or an agro guy who you can call down easily since your miles ahead of his BU range on pretty much any runout.

This goes for most boards that are good for your opponent to barrel off with on many scare cards and you don't have a good read on their barreling tendencies.

As for the sizing, in this particular hand on that type of drawy board i would read it as weak which would make me more likely to raise. Generally tho its tough to get a good c-bet sizing reads as most regs have pre-set flop sizings anyway and don't vary their sizings vs other regs, that would just be way to exploitable.
    • lnternet
      lnternet
      Bronze
      Super hard to answer this.

Certainly don't over-interpret the bet size. If you raise significantly lighter vs a small cbet than against a big cbet you are potentially very exploitable. But I understand the base read of small = weaker of course, and it's fine to follow that.

KT doesn't need very much protection here. Much different from A5 on 652.

Whether to raise or not depends on the full lines that happen in each case. Hard to estimate. Some ideas what you can look at

- equity if he calls the raise (<40 probably too thin, >50 almost value)
      - playability if 3bet (easy fold/call/push makes raise better, tough spot more meh raise)
      - playability if call; playability if raised on next street
      - what other hands you raise and how the hand synergizes with those
      - what other hands you call and how the hand synergizes with those

Then you can also play with the raise size. How do you like a flop minraise with KT here? I kinda like it :)
    • getdotacom
      getdotacom
      Black
      I don't see any problem in calling. U won't get outdrawn that often here and your hand isn't strong enough to raise even against that sizing. It's kinda weak, but not weak enough to raise this hand IMO. Probably he has some weaker Tx and maybe some 99,88 hands there, but I think many weak Qx as well, like Q3s etc. I like Internet's idea about minraising because he can't fold any pair to that and maybe we're a little bit ahead of his continuing range. It's very unlike he will 3bet us because his range is weak and he knows that most likely.