Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

BB: $10.00
      Hero (UTG): $26.10
      CO: $10.15
      BTN: $18.88
      SB: $12.39

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has K:club: A:diamond:

Hero raises to $0.30, fold, BTN calls $0.30, SB raises to $1.30, BB calls $1.20, Hero raises to $26.10 and is all-in, fold, SB calls $11.09 and is all-in, fold

Flop: ($26.38, 2 players) 3:spade: 3:diamond: 7:heart:

Turn: ($26.38, 2 players) J:spade:

River: ($26.38, 2 players) 9:club:

Hero shows K:club: A:diamond: (One Pair, Threes) (Pre 43%, Flop 24%, Turn 14%)
      SB shows Q:club: Q:heart: (Two Pair, Queens and Threes) (Pre 57%, Flop 76%, Turn 86%)
      SB wins $24.63

I think this is a very good spot for turning AK into a 4bet bluff and shoving.
      BTN has a lot but I know he's never calling, but it will look like I don't care if he does. SB 3bets about 8% from blinds, and BB cold calls pocket pairs way too often, so I shove as a bluff blocking half of the combos of AA/KK. I will also make this exact play w AA/KK.

This is a bad call by villain right?

He needs 42% equity and even if we throw in AK bluffs into the mix he has 39%. But he is only hoping that AK is in this range, and if its not he has 18.26% equity and is crushed. His reads if he has HUD on me are 4% 3bet. Usually I 3bet around 10% but he doesn't know this and if I had this image at table I would not try this bluff.
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Metza,

Preflop: Normally people do not expect a ton of KK/AA to be played like this because people love to raise smaller to keep the others in the pot. So a shove like this can look a lot like AK type hands and you will get called by pairs. Now if we take the same line with AA/KK every time then he will make some mistake calling there.

I wouldn't say that we are turning AK into a huge bluff though because it still has a lot of value even if called. And with all that money in the pot we collect a nice sum if they fold. So I would call it more of a thin value shove.
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      With KK+ here is there really any point in 4betting without shoving here? With like $3 dead money in the pot already I don't think opponent can realistically just flat a 4bet here, and especially not flat and then fold flop. I would just jam them, do you think it's better to 4bet to like $3.50 or something?

Personally I wouldn't be bothered with AA/KK either and rather just ship them there so I think villain just got lucky vs my range.

What if we have QQ in this same spot? Is it ok to flat the 3bet, as villains range is kinda weak for 3betting from blinds as is the cold callers.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by metza
      With KK+ here is there really any point in 4betting without shoving here? With like $3 dead money in the pot already I don't think opponent can realistically just flat a 4bet here, and especially not flat and then fold flop. I would just jam them, do you think it's better to 4bet to like $3.50 or something?

Personally I wouldn't be bothered with AA/KK either and rather just ship them there so I think villain just got lucky vs my range.

What if we have QQ in this same spot? Is it ok to flat the 3bet, as villains range is kinda weak for 3betting from blinds as is the cold callers.
      You are slightly deeper with SB and deeper with BTN. I can see a $3.4-$3.5 4-bet being possible with our value range. I can say that we would never really bluff given the amount of people in the pot.

I agree though that without any big fish in the pot we have less reasons to 4-bet smaller (unless we have some dynamic where we 4-bet bluffed).

Given the amount of money in the pot I think that we should ship QQ here. A lot of the value of a shove here is the collection of the dead money and even if called we still have decent equity.