[NL20-NL50] 50shz AA MP

• AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $45.33 (90.7 bb)
      SB: $50 (100 bb)
      BB: $94.85 (189.7 bb)
      UTG: $32.57 (65.1 bb)
      Hero (MP): $76.52 (153 bb)
      CO: $76.69 (153.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A A
      UTG folds, Hero raises to $1.50, CO folds, BTN calls $1.50, 2 folds

Flop: ($3.75) Q A 7 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $2.50, Hero calls $2.50

Turn: ($8.75) 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $6.61, BTN calls $6.61

River: ($21.97) J (2 players)
      Hero bets $13.91, BTN raises to $34.72 and is all-in, Hero calls $20.81

Results:
      $91.41 pot ($3 rake)
      Final Board: Q A 7 5 J
      BTN showed 2 K and won $88.41 ($43.08 net)
      Hero mucked A A and lost (-$45.33 net)

VPIP: 51, PFR: 34, 3B: 0, AF: 1,4, Hands: 35

Flop: I decide to slowplay as I can't expect too much value from queens. I decide not to raise his bet as that would scare away lots of stuff.

Turn: this kind of players usually go for very small bets after flops, and he was pretty passive too, so I decided not to risk a check behind and donk, also to value/protect from possible 1 heart hands.

I somehow wasn't too worried about FDs but I'm not sure why.
      I was reluctant to call his river raise, but I thought of things like lesser sets, AQ, AJ...

Possible lesson learnt: do not slowplay against passive players even with big monsters, and if passive player bets, raise it, he'll probably make a mistake. Slowplaying like that can be good against aggressive or semi-good regs.
  • 3 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

If you want to check flop, just check turn again to induce from his range and allow him to barrel and rep the flush. Donking here just scares away his air.

I think checkraising is fine. He seems to be on the passive side so I doubt he will double barrel too much, so you should try to gain value from QX/draws immediately.

Thanks.
    • AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mbml
      Hi.

If you want to check flop, just check turn again to induce from his range and allow him to barrel and rep the flush. Donking here just scares away his air.

I think checkraising is fine. He seems to be on the passive side so I doubt he will double barrel too much, so you should try to gain value from QX/draws immediately.

Thanks.
      You say check/raising flop is fine, but can I expect a bet often enough from such passive player?
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      The check serves 2 purposes
      -Induce bluffs
      -Underrepresent our hand such that he never folds Turn and River with QX since we "can never have an Ace after checking the Flop"

Remember that it's super unlikely for him to have an Ace when we have the two Aces.