[NL20-NL50] NL50sh - AK facing 3b from unknown

• Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

How to deal with this?

Villain plays like 11/0/9h so we can't conclude anything from that. I also can't search him. Most likely he is a reg.

Without any info, is it better to 4b/fold AKo and call AKs? Just because getting it in with AK is still not great I guess and folding is too weak? AKs flops a bit better than AKo and that could make a difference?

I've had a couple of these spots lately and most of the time I just miss and have to fold

Poker Stars $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players - View hand 2095119
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

Hero (UTG): $50.00
      CO: $55.50
      BTN: $57.92
      SB: $65.17
      BB: $62.87

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is UTG with A :diamond: K :heart:
      Hero raises to $1.50, 2 folds, SB raises to $5, 1 fold, Hero calls $3.50

Flop: ($10.50) 8 :club: 5 :spade: 3 :heart: (2 players)
      SB bets $6.25, Hero folds
  • 3 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hey,

On NL50 it's quite in between whether you can 4bet/call off AK in these positions but it can be very unprofitable.. I'd estimate it being close to 0EV so when facing a reg who I am likely to face again and again I would just stack off and get quite a bit of info on his ranges while not losing any money in EV. Getting it in might not be the best EV, calling could be better but when I have no idea what I can call, what I can 4bet as a bluff, how to play when calling, etc. I take the easier non-losing route that gives me more info for solid future EV.
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      Hey,

On NL50 it's quite in between whether you can 4bet/call off AK in these positions but it can be very unprofitable.. I'd estimate it being close to 0EV so when facing a reg who I am likely to face again and again I would just stack off and get quite a bit of info on his ranges while not losing any money in EV. Getting it in might not be the best EV, calling could be better but when I have no idea what I can call, what I can 4bet as a bluff, how to play when calling, etc. I take the easier non-losing route that gives me more info for solid future EV.
      And this is 4B/Broke? :) It could be like pretty much -EV? Or isn't that true? And huge variance?

What about 4B/fold? -> Spew?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Farmarchist
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      Hey,

And this is 4B/Broke? :) It could be like pretty much -EV? Or isn't that true? And huge variance?

What about 4B/fold? -> Spew?
      Your hand seems like a waste to 4bet and fold plus you get the odds to stack off vs a shove since it's the best hand you can have to do that, just like 2% under QQ. Think of your sizing and then the odds you get.. getting around 40% and folding seems like super nitty and probably puts in too much dead money.

Sure, you don't make money from the spot, I never said that but you lose less by stacking off than 4bet/folding so to speak and given the FE you have before it should end up slightly +EV with the added benefits of info you get.