This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] NL50sh - AK facing 3b from unknown

• Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

How to deal with this?

Villain plays like 11/0/9h so we can't conclude anything from that. I also can't search him. Most likely he is a reg.

Without any info, is it better to 4b/fold AKo and call AKs? Just because getting it in with AK is still not great I guess and folding is too weak? AKs flops a bit better than AKo and that could make a difference?

I've had a couple of these spots lately and most of the time I just miss and have to fold

Poker Stars $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players - View hand 2095119
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

Hero (UTG): $50.00
      CO: $55.50
      BTN: $57.92
      SB: $65.17
      BB: $62.87

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is UTG with A :diamond: K :heart:
      Hero raises to $1.50, 2 folds, SB raises to $5, 1 fold, Hero calls $3.50

Flop: ($10.50) 8 :club: 5 :spade: 3 :heart: (2 players)
      SB bets $6.25, Hero folds
  • 3 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hey,

On NL50 it's quite in between whether you can 4bet/call off AK in these positions but it can be very unprofitable.. I'd estimate it being close to 0EV so when facing a reg who I am likely to face again and again I would just stack off and get quite a bit of info on his ranges while not losing any money in EV. Getting it in might not be the best EV, calling could be better but when I have no idea what I can call, what I can 4bet as a bluff, how to play when calling, etc. I take the easier non-losing route that gives me more info for solid future EV.
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      Hey,

On NL50 it's quite in between whether you can 4bet/call off AK in these positions but it can be very unprofitable.. I'd estimate it being close to 0EV so when facing a reg who I am likely to face again and again I would just stack off and get quite a bit of info on his ranges while not losing any money in EV. Getting it in might not be the best EV, calling could be better but when I have no idea what I can call, what I can 4bet as a bluff, how to play when calling, etc. I take the easier non-losing route that gives me more info for solid future EV.
      And this is 4B/Broke? :) It could be like pretty much -EV? Or isn't that true? And huge variance?

What about 4B/fold? -> Spew?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Farmarchist
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      Hey,

And this is 4B/Broke? :) It could be like pretty much -EV? Or isn't that true? And huge variance?

What about 4B/fold? -> Spew?
      Your hand seems like a waste to 4bet and fold plus you get the odds to stack off vs a shove since it's the best hand you can have to do that, just like 2% under QQ. Think of your sizing and then the odds you get.. getting around 40% and folding seems like super nitty and probably puts in too much dead money.

Sure, you don't make money from the spot, I never said that but you lose less by stacking off than 4bet/folding so to speak and given the FE you have before it should end up slightly +EV with the added benefits of info you get.